• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whats with this crap browser

My signature answers that. Modaco are all based on 1.5 HTC. Full sensui with lots of widgets!

I got a hero for the openness, but I really had trouble with the speed overall. Also on Orange in the UK. After some messing about I decided to install the latest update from HTC over the native Orange rom, and that really improved it overall, but I still find the browser very laggy, even on wifi. I'm wondering if the Modaco upgrades include some kind of change on the browser that improves performance... here's hoping. Any chance you could guide me to the right place to get it's latest Modaco.

Upvote 0
...Also on Orange in the UK. After some messing about I decided to install the latest update from HTC over the native Orange rom, and that really improved it overall...

Hi EtherealG. I've just got my Hero this week, and am also on Orange. I'm interested in upgrading the ROM. What affects is it likely to have... what will I gain, what will I lose, and is there any risks of mucking anything up?

Would appreciate your advice.

Upvote 0
Hi EtherealG. I've just got my Hero this week, and am also on Orange. I'm interested in upgrading the ROM. What affects is it likely to have... what will I gain, what will I lose, and is there any risks of mucking anything up?

Upgrade for very noticable,lag and speed improvements, some minor improvements elsewhere, and to the camera.

Low risk of mucking up as long as you follow the instructions on the HTC website.

You loose all your memory, wipes the phone clean of all applications, though some information can be backed up.

Upvote 0
Hi EtherealG. I've
just got my Hero this week, and am also on Orange. I'm interested in upgrading the ROM. What affects is it likely to have... what will I gain, what will I lose, and is there any risks of mucking anything up?

You loose: an Orange logo
You gain: a huge speed increase

the backup process seems verifiable using nandroid. So its pretty safe too. A small risk of messing up the phone I've heard, but not actually seen any forum posts about someone thath did.

Also, the radio upgrade really helped my reception. And the modaco custom Rom has boosted the speed even more.

let me put it his way. Without these changes I probably would've taken the phone back.

Upvote 0
I live in India and the service by HTC as well as Vodafone is screwed up. So I would like to go for the Modaco ROM.
This might not be the right place to ask these questions, but oh well....

1) I want to use (install?) the Modaco ROM. How do I do it? I'm VERY new to HTC as well as Android. Will the ROM work for my Indian version of Hero?

2) Since the Hero is EXTREMELY expensive here, I'm very scared about losing the warranty after flashing the ROM. So I would like to know if there is any chance I can backup my present stock ROM so that I can restore it back again later if I have an issue?

3) The radio update you guys are talking about... is that something to boost the WiFi signal by any chance?

I tried going through the modaco website for some info on it, but it looks like there are super hardcore linux are talking to each other and I dont understand sh*t :(

Upvote 0
You loose: an Orange logo
You gain: a huge speed increase

the backup process seems verifiable using nandroid. So its pretty safe too. A small risk of messing up the phone I've heard, but not actually seen any forum posts about someone thath did.

Also, the radio upgrade really helped my reception. And the modaco custom Rom has boosted the speed even more.

let me put it his way. Without these changes I probably would've taken the phone back.

It looks to me like I already have the latest ROM anyway. I got my phone delivered from Orange last week, and the build number says:

2.73.61.5 146733 CL#61267 release-keys

That's the latest anyway, right?

Upvote 0
for those of you who don't realize it, android's browser is the same as the iphone's with some improvements. It's Safari Mobile based on webkit! So i don't want to hear any safari bashing.

anyway, the SPRINT hero in the us with android 1.6 has an incredibly laggy browser, keypad, and os in general. The iphone 3gs which I am currently using as well, jailbroken, with heavy mods install that lag it down STILL wipes the floor with the sprint hero. The hero's hardware will just never be strong enough to run like it should and the os just isn't optimized with this hardware and the htc senseUI overlayed on top of it. Anyone who sits here and says we are lying about the performance difference of these two phones simply has not really investigated them and is letting their personal bias influence their perceptions. Iphone >3g is faster period. That said...

I'm SURE better hardware will come out soon, as we are seeing what, 4 new devices just this week on different carriers? But it's still a bit too green with the hero being the first cdma android device.

Upvote 0
The Hero runs 1.5, not 1.6. But yeah, yesterday I compared clean load times of the Hero's browser and the Droid, side by side - just loading google.com.

Hero loaded in 16 seconds (with an annoying "getting sign-in details" at about 10 seconds). Droid loaded in 4. FFS.

Oh, and Sprint's 3G latency is a JOKE compared to Verizon. When I saw how fast Verizon 3G loaded, I started collecting my jaw off the floor.

for those of you who don't realize it, android's browser is the same as the iphone's with some improvements. It's Safari Mobile based on webkit! So i don't want to hear any safari bashing.

anyway, the SPRINT hero in the us with android 1.6 has an incredibly laggy browser, keypad, and os in general. The iphone 3gs which I am currently using as well, jailbroken, with heavy mods install that lag it down STILL wipes the floor with the sprint hero. The hero's hardware will just never be strong enough to run like it should and the os just isn't optimized with this hardware and the htc senseUI overlayed on top of it. Anyone who sits here and says we are lying about the performance difference of these two phones simply has not really investigated them and is letting their personal bias influence their perceptions. Iphone >3g is faster period. That said...

I'm SURE better hardware will come out soon, as we are seeing what, 4 new devices just this week on different carriers? But it's still a bit too green with the hero being the first cdma android device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones