What's wrong with my Captivate!

Last Updated:

1. jdob28

jdob28 New Member This Topic's Starter

My battery life sucks! I only get 10 hours if I use the phone a little or 12 if not used. I bought a new battery and everything was great for about a week. I would end the day, 16 hours, with 40% left. Now a week later, I am back to the same old thing. What is going on? I leave it on charge overnight, unplug at 5am and by 5 pm I'm in the red. Don't tell me it is in the settings because it will die while at home 30 ft. away from the wireless router and MicroCell. Also, for the week on the new battery I didn't change any settings, but the battery lasted all day. Is there something wrong with the charger that is killing my batteries? Any thoughts? Sorry, I should have posted in troubleshoot.

Advertisement
  2. Captain19

Captain19 Well-Known Member

I know there has been some discussion about this but I would get Advanced Task Killer free in the market. It will show you what is still running and give you the option to shut those apps down. It also kills itself at that time. I've had this app installed since I got the Captivate and never have a problem. I also keep my gps turned off unless I need to use it for some reason. Right now my phone has been on for 18 hours since the last charge and I'm still at 71%. Take some time and look through all your settings. You may not need the phone to check for email every 5 minutes. Some people do so it depends on the person. I also keep my screen brightness down pretty low. Even at the low setting the screen is just awesome. My phone does sync with my google calendar and contacts constantly but that doesn't seem to affect battery life. Good luck. If none of these suggestions help then you might have a defective phone.

3. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

The Captivate FAQ is your friend, and should always be the first place you look for answers.

First, read this:
    Battery - CapFAQ

Then, read this before you go using a task killer:
    Task killers - CapFAQ

4. jdob28

I did read the FAQ and do have Task Killer running. I don't have GPS or Bluetooth on. I have power saver for the display on. I am also using Google email but do have Yahoo mail also. I am ready to wipe my phone and see how it runs clean. Thanks for the response.

5. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

6. jdob28

I did a clean wipe "reset" and things are much better. When I first got the phone I went nuts and downloaded tons of apps. I guess there was way to much running behind the scene. It's really too bad that you can't have apps on your phone, not running, without killing your battery. Does it have to do with downloading "free" apps that are continually looking for ads?

I tried an app killer again and my battery is starting to die more quickly. I removed it, so we'll see. Thanks for your help.