What's your 3G speed?

Last Updated:

1. gtl408

gtl408 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just curious if any of you proud Fascinate owners have run the Speed.net app or the FCC speedtest app with your new phone, yet? I have the other CDMA based cousin, Epic 4G, and a lot of us have been experiencing an upload cap of around 200 Kbps over Sprint 3G (http://androidforums.com/samsung-epic-4g/166945-lousy-down-up-load-speed-3g.html). Could any of you be kind enough to report back any speed test results that you've done? It might give us more of a clue on whether it's a Sprint issue or a general problem with Samsung's CDMA radios. We've all called Sprint and they were unaware of the issue at the time, so many of us are awaiting call backs from Sprint for updates on our support tickets. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. Kevin B

Kevin B Member

Using the speedtest.net app I get download of 663 kbps and upload of 545 kbps.

3. durangojim

durangojim Well-Known Member

DL 1942 UL 732 zip code 48317 (note I have amazing reception at my work, but when I go home my DL drops to 300-400 and my upload stays about the same)

4. abadgti

abadgti Well-Known Member

I ran the speed test on the store demo and the UL speed was in 1700 range on the Fascinate and 1500s on my DX even though my DX signal was at 81db and the Fascinate at 91db. Does that make any sense? I thought the phone with the better signal would have faster 3G speeds. The browser on the Fascinate was a few seconds faster than my DX when loading webpages also.

5. gtl408

Awesome, thanks for the responses. Looks like the upload issue is specific to the Epic 4G and/or Sprint. The Fascinate looks like a winner in terms of its radio throughput. If you guys notice your signal bouncing around, you may want to do a speed test for when you see a weak signal and when the signal is strong. That would be a good indicator for you if the signal indicator is full of BS or not. Also, if you notice your battery draining a bit even when idle, you should check setting -> about phone -> battery use -> cell standby to see if your time without service is abnormally high when you know you've been in a good cell service area. For us Epic users, it's a bug that has a work around of toggling on and off the airplane mode. Anyway, thanks, again!

6. infamousjax

infamousjax Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this OP.

7. tystevens

tystevens Well-Known Member

Using speedtest app I get 1.34 Mpbs download and .59 mbps upload.

8. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

speedtest.net app
    434 down / 524 up / ping 122
    273 down / 683 up / ping 170

FCC test app:
    354 down / (crash)
    292 down / 621 up / 161ms
    (go figure upload is faster than download)

9. burningembers

burningembers Well-Known Member

speedtest.net:

814 down, 546 up, 163 ping

I'm in Portland, OR and its using a server in Kansas...I don't know why.

10. gtl408

Because your GPS can't get a lock on your location, so it defaults to Kansas for some reason. The trick is to go to settings -> location and ensure the wireless networks setting is checked. Then turn on your wi-fi before launching the speedtest app, go to the apps setting tab and select the closest server to you. Then make sure you turn off wi-fi before kicking off the test.

11. d1c1ple

d1c1ple Well-Known Member

648 dn / 488 up / 110ms ping - speedtest.net
    .53 dn / .24 up / 103ms ping - fcc

12. bradmatic

bradmatic Well-Known Member

FCC: (3G) 8:56am EDT
    d/l - 1.23 Mbps
    u/l - 0.79 Mbps
    p - 141ms