What's your Cell Standy percentage?General

Last Updated:

1. Gwanatu

Gwanatu Member This Topic's Starter

I had a defective G2 (original unit bought on 10/3) that had problems with the cell radio and it would get in upwards of 79% battery usage for cell standby. I had problems with data dropping off randomly and calls not being able to go through, and resetting the phone or putting it in airplane mode and back to normal again would temporarily fix it. Now that I have another G2, I've noticed the cell standby is still higher than other Android phones, and that it seems to sit around 30% on this new one I got. I've got quite a few friends with Android phones, and here are the percentages that they all have with normal use on Cell Standby:

Droid X: 3%
    Samsung Moment: 3%
    Samsung Epic 4G: 9%

Can you all do me a favor and check what your battery usage is in regards to Cell Standby so I can make sure this thing isn't acting up? I just don't understand why it's so much higher than other Android phones. Thanks for the help!

Advertisement
  2. Boozshey

Boozshey New Member

Mine sits up in the 55 - 69 range. But that is normally during the week while I am in a basement without reception. I still get about 15-16 hours before it will turn itself off. With about 8 hours of that me messing with the phone in some capacity.

Gwanatu likes this.
  3. Gwanatu

No one else?

4. Gwanatu

50 views and I've had one reply? Come on people, I thought this was a better community than that. All you have to do is go to your battery usage and post your percentage. I'm really not asking for a lot.

5. TheMercuryMan

TheMercuryMan Member

43% here after 12h 33m 56s.

Gwanatu likes this.
  6. TheMercuryMan

TheMercuryMan Member

Thats at home where I get cell reception about 50% of the time. Ill check it tonight when I go to work. Only pick up GPRS at home if I'm lucky at work its HSPA all night.

7. Gwanatu

Cool thanks!

8. TheMercuryMan

TheMercuryMan Member

After 8h 46m and just a few emails and web usage with 2g battery saver off mine was 35%

Gwanatu likes this.
  9. Agent K

Agent K Member

42% after 7hrs 48min

Gwanatu likes this.
  10. Sungmurai7

Sungmurai7 Active Member

~%50 on normal use.

Web and text often. I'll have to check again later to be consistent.

Gwanatu likes this.
  11. Gwanatu

Alright so it seems this phone might be higher than average then?

12. PatrickHuey

PatrickHuey Active Member

mine is usually 50 to 70 percent. but the thing is, my phone gets great battery, but im not sure why the percentage is so high..any body have an answer?

Gwanatu likes this.
  13. Sungmurai7

Sungmurai7 Active Member

The HSPA+ network still needs work is my best guess. Sometimes when I browse the net the sites take a little longer to load than it should. Could be the G2 hardware, the network or a combination of both?

I keep my G2 on 2g network unless I need to use the browser or whatnot. And yeah I also get great battery life even with HSPA+ on.

14. johnmed3

johnmed3 Member

Mine is at 27% :) !

Gwanatu likes this.
  15. Rra

Rra Member

What app are you all using to get this info?

16. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

20 - 30%

17. Gwanatu

If you go to your phone settings>info>battery usage, you will see cell standby there in terms of percent of what is sucking your battery dry.

Thanks for all the responses everyone, this place is in fact awesome.

18. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me why this matters? Knowing the cell standby percentage is useless without knowing all of what else the user is running, how much battery has been used total, the strength of the signal, etc.

After all, the number you see isn't the percent of total battery power used by the process, it's the percent of used battery power, relative to other processes. So if someone plays a lot of 3D games, their cell standby percentage is going to look really good, whereas if they're conscientious about power consumption, it will be a large percentage.

19. djsinco

djsinco Well-Known Member

30% it seems lower with wi-fi

20. blkidea

blkidea Active Member

33% with moderate to heavy use.

21. Gwanatu

The reason I ask is because the phone seems to be using a higher percentage than most other phones by a long shot. Sure people all use their phones differently, but regardless the cell standby shouldn't be taking up a large percentage of battery usage if you are actually using your phone, which is why I was asking. Most people with other Android phones sit anywhere between 3-9%, whereas this phone is consistently higher than 30%

On another note, Desire Z roms with HTC Sense seem to use considerably less. While using 2 different Desire Z roms the cell standby was hovering at 3-5% constantly, and that's what it should be at. Using Cyanogen 6.1 right now, it's sitting at 25%, which is still high but not as bad as stock.

22. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

But even this doesn't make any sense. Many of the big features of the G2 are power efficiency: the Super TFT display is supposed to be up to five times more efficient than an AMOLED display; the processor is more efficient and clocked slower; vanilla android/cynaogen means less power used compared to touchwiz et. al.

In fact, it seems like the only component that hasn't been super optimized is the cell antenna, which of course is naturally exactly like it is in any other cell phone. If anything, it uses slightly more power on 4G, but that doesn't apply to most of us.

What happens when you increase the efficiency of all the components except one? Well, the percentage of total power used by that component skyrockets, despite the fact that that particular component is using exactly as much actual power as before, and the total power used is way less (compared to the droid for example).

If you took an EVO battery (for instance) and crammed it into the G2, you'd get a lot more battery life out of it on the G2 than you would on the EVO (in fact, people on the XDA forums have been doing this with staggering results). The G2 ships with a 1300mAh battery, while most other phones need to ship with 1500 or 1700mAh. The only reason HTC can get away with this is because of the G2's groundbreaking efficiency.

Percentage is only a meaningful statistic when comparing comparable systems. Ie. If the percentage on my G2 was higher than it was on your G2, and we have the same usage habits, that would mean that I live in a more distant reception area, so the phone needs to boost the power to talk to the cell tower.

23. djsinco

djsinco Well-Known Member

I agree with justme - percentage is less relevant than actual battery life on a given charge cycle. I am very satisfied with the battery cycle life. Using navigation, or other power sapping apps for more than 30 minutes or so just requires you to be plugged in.

24. blkidea

blkidea Active Member

I concur with justme. Good explanation. Thanks.