• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whats your favorite non phone use of your vibrant?

It might be an odd question but this phone even more so than the G1 has changed how I do things. It allows so much functionality that, surprisingly it has become my favorite personal device.

My answer to the above question is books and audio. The kindle App is great, and not at all battery draining. I have just finished reading the last book in the "Girl with the dragon tattoo" trilogy and it was invaluable to hit the cliff hanger and be able to pull the next one down instantly.

The audio thing is in conjunction with another device, my Motorola DC800 bluetooth stereo gateway. I've found that lately its easier to connect to the wifi in my house and then to the dc800 via bluetooth which in turn is connected to my home theater receiver. Once thats done I can just stream last.fm, my music on the phone, audio books from audible.com, or even podcasts with beyond pod, directly to my home theater system. The phone in essence becomes a really spiffy remote with great range. It has even sadly supplanted my beloved zune which fulfilled most of those functions originally.

So whats your favorite non phone usage of your vibrant?

I just returned from a 2 week stay in Paris. I got a SIM and data plan there, and used the RATP app for calculating bus/train/metro routes. It was a huge help. I used the GPS and maps to figure out the nearest metro stop to where I happened to be, entered the destination stop, and bingo it gave me perfect instructions. Amazing tool.

I also used Google translation, finding nearby restaurants (with reviews), the web browser for all sorts of lookup, and of course the video recorder. I almost don't know how I ever traveled without it. :)

Upvote 0
I like everything that they make stand-alone devices for. For example, mp3 players, digital cameras, GPS units, Kindle, etc. I love having all that in ONE device.

Ain't convergence grand?

Also, the traveling usage of it is great. Its invaluable for getting around the city I'm in. Navigation using public transit is amazing.

And to prove the old adage that the best camera is the one you have with you, Most of the photos on my lantern website Home Page were taken with my phone.

Upvote 0
I dont do any one thing more than ther other i dont think but besides the phone function of it, i like using Tweetcaster to follow my football news and it is so much better than the the twitter app on iPhone where i had to open the application to get news. These notifications are way better. I also use Google Maps more often, use the music player often, Web browsing since i have 3G instead of being stuck on EDGE w/ iPhone. Love the Camera but dont take much video. Games are better on this bigger screen and cant wait to get more good apps in the market.

Upvote 0
I think my favorite and most practical is e-mail and web browsing. It's a must have for any college student to be able to access course material and get last minute e-mails from professors and such.

Aside from that, looking up places on Google Maps is probably another favorite. Always helps to be able to find somewhere on the run instead of having to go all the way home to look it up then leave again.

And of course games. The Android market is now rapidly growing and the games are getting awesome. Also with a strong phone, emulators on the go are awesome. Final Fantasy 7 on the go, what more can you ask for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones