What's Your Internal Storage Directory Look LikeGeneral

1. browhat

browhat Member

My internal directory is a mess after months of updates and downloads. When you mount your phone as a disk drive, what does your folder structure look like?

More importantly, which folders are essential (system folders), and which can be deleted, consolidated or moved to the SD card?

Do you prefer to keep all your .apk files in 1 location, and if so, where - SD card

Advertisement
    :
  2. HoochieCoo

HoochieCoo Well-Known Member

It's basically all a mess, internal or not. Apps store their data wherever they want. Sometimes in designated places (like the "data" dirs), sometimes not. I've had apps just dump things in the root of the SD card.

As far as what's safe, I leave anything that starts with a period, and anything in "data". But even past that, it's hard to tell if it's safe to move if the app itself is expecting it to be there.

I generally just leave it alone except in cases where I know an app was deleted. Then I delete the folder.
  3. AlexNC

AlexNC Well-Known Member

I don't have an answer, but I understand your situation. The way Android allows app developers to install folders where ever they please drives me nuts. It is such a mess. Even after uninstalling apps, many still leave old folders and files, making for a very confusing folder structure.
  4. androidxen

androidxen Well-Known Member

If you're insistent on "cleaning" up your internal storage, granted that you know what everything is in the storage, copy over everything, delete the entire directory, boot the phone once, and copy back everything you want to keep.
    browhat likes this.
  5. browhat

browhat Member

I appreciate the feedback and am pleased to hear others are upset with the mess as well. I've been working to determine which files can rest where (internal storage vs SD) and am getting there - but its still pretty confusing.

I'll report once I find out more, but in the meantime, I'll remain comforted in the thought of others sharing my frustration.