• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whatsapp mute not working

I need it as I have a group chat with band members to arrange things , thanks tho
What is mute on Whatsapp?

Once you have put a group on mute mode, you won't get sound alerts for notifications for that particular group, but the messages will appear in the notification tray. Besides, if you want to get rid of notifications for a particular group, you can simply uncheck "Show notifications".

Upvote 0
Hi, I realise this thread is quite old, but I have the same problem. I have the group muted and unchecked the notifications option, yet I still get notifications on my mobile phone. If I go to check them, they disappear though. It's a group with a lot of people.

I've already tried disabling and re-enabling the mute and the notifications multiple times, to no avail.

I usually tend to have Whatsapp web open at the same time. I've tried making sure the group is not selected there, in case this was what could be triggering the notifications.

Since it doesn't always send a notification, I've been trying to determine what could be triggering it. From what I've been able to gather, it seems that maybe it only happens when a certain person sends a message. However, this person isn't a contact and I don't see why that should trigger it. When people who are actually in my contacts send something, it doesn't send a notification.

Any suggestions would be welcome, I've already tried reinstalling the app. I'm tempted to just leave the group altogether, because it's driving me nuts at the moment.

All the threads on any forums just seem to suggest people to disable the notifications too, but I've already done this and I can't seem to find any other helpful suggestions alas.

Thanks anyway :)

Upvote 0
When you find the message that triggered the notification, check to see if the person wrote @Yourname because if they did, that explains why you got the notification. WhatsApp made it in a way that the @ symbol in a muted group will still ping you.

The only way to stop it, would be by muting notifications from the person who pings you.

Upvote 0
When you find the message that triggered the notification, check to see if the person wrote @Yourname because if they did, that explains why you got the notification. WhatsApp made it in a way that the @ symbol in a muted group will still ping you.

The only way to stop it, would be by muting notifications from the person who pings you.
Thanks for the suggestion, sadly that's not it, turns out it might be an actual OS bug since the Oreo update according to the OnePlus forums.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones