• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WhatsApp Question

Hi guys -

I am new to the forum, and joined to ask the following question. With that being said, the content here looks great so might just stick around awhile. :)

In the spirit of the typical (lame) WhatsApp questions related to why someone has apparently (otherwise) cut them off in WhatsApp, a nuance has happened with me that I can't find addressed in other threads.

The person I am communicating with in WhatsApp appears to have not logged on in several weeks. When I click on their name, I can see their "last seen" date and time of login, as well as their profile picture. If it wasn't for the fact that this person is usually a daily WhatsApp user, I would not think anything of it; but, since almost an entire month has passed with no online activity, I am beginning to suspect they have cut off communication with me.

In my reading, I have noted the following:

A) If I have been blocked, I will not see the "last seen" status.

B) If they have deleted their WhatsApp account entirely (meaning they have actually deleted their WhatsApp account; not just deleted from their phone), their WhatsApp contact would be removed from my WhatsApp contact list.

C) If they have changed phones, their WhatsApp account should port to the new device assuming they follow the necessary steps to do this - hence, I should still to be able to communicate with them and follow their status updates.

The only thought I have is that possibly this person has changed their number. If this happened, would I see their "last seen" status in WhatsApp from almost a month ago, with no further updates?

If anyone has any other ideas as to why this may have happened, I would appreciate your sharing them with me. This is driving me crazy .. lol.

For reasons I cannot get into, I cannot simply call or text to see if the number has changed.

Also, this is a USA number that is currently being used in another country (if that makes any difference).

Thanks -

Breeze

If you have been blocked you can't see the profile picture, last seen status and the status of the contact. Some updates ago the WhatsApp developers introduced a feature to hide your online status. But if you hide your online status you aren't able to see the online status of other contacts (afaik). Could this be the reason?

Hi, DLX. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Unfortunately, it is not that simple. Under the WhatsApp policy, a person's ONLINE status will still be visible when they have selected the privacy setting to hide their status.

I have carefully watched this profile over the last month and the online status is never visible. This morning, I sent an SMS through WhatsApp and I am getting one check mark which means the message is not being delivered to the phone.

The only thing I can imagine is that somehow this person has changed their number, but everything I am reading says that the WhatsApp contact will be deleted from my phone if this happens.

If anyone has anything related to the deletion of a number, please let me know...

Upvote 0
There are some apps or unofficial versions of whatsapp that will hide your last seen time. Perhaps your friend uses one of those and the date you see is the last time they used the official app.

Send them a message. If they reply you're not blocked.

Thanks for the reply, Nicka. See my response above.

Either they just have not logged in for a month, which is very unlikely; or, somehow they have changed their number and my phone is still hanging on to the old contact and last seen time. My reading says that either the last seen time should disappear from my phone or their entire contact disappear from my phone if anything related to changing the number or deleting the account occurs.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
As I'm sure you know Whatsapp reads your existing phone contacts & if it recognizes one as linked to a Whatsapp account it will bring it up as a contact within the app. What I don't know is how it handles contacts who have previously sent you a whatsapp. It may assume that they are whatsapp contacts regardless of their current account status.

If the person you refer to it in your address book can you try to send them a GSM sms? That could verify their number.

Upvote 0
Hi guys -

I am new to the forum, and joined to ask the following question. With that being said, the content here looks great so might just stick around awhile. :)

In the spirit of the typical (lame) WhatsApp questions related to why someone has apparently (otherwise) cut them off in WhatsApp, a nuance has happened with me that I can't find addressed in other threads.

The person I am communicating with in WhatsApp appears to have not logged on in several weeks. When I click on their name, I can see their "last seen" date and time of login, as well as their profile picture. If it wasn't for the fact that this person is usually a daily WhatsApp user, I would not think anything of it; but, since almost an entire month has passed with no online activity, I am beginning to suspect they have cut off communication with me.

In my reading, I have noted the following:

A) If I have been blocked, I will not see the "last seen" status.

B) If they have deleted their WhatsApp account entirely (meaning they have actually deleted their WhatsApp account; not just deleted from their phone), their WhatsApp contact would be removed from my WhatsApp contact list.

C) If they have changed phones, their WhatsApp account should port to the new device assuming they follow the necessary steps to do this - hence, I should still to be able to communicate with them and follow their status updates.

The only thought I have is that possibly this person has changed their number. If this happened, would I see their "last seen" status in WhatsApp from almost a month ago, with no further updates?

If anyone has any other ideas as to why this may have happened, I would appreciate your sharing them with me. This is driving me crazy .. lol.

For reasons I cannot get into, I cannot simply call or text to see if the number has changed.

Also, this is a USA number that is currently being used in another country (if that makes any difference).

Thanks -

Breeze

Hey breeze,

Stumbled across this thread as I've been really bothered by the exact same question and couldn't find answers anywhere on the Internet. Like you, I've analyzed everything and know that I haven't been "blocked", as defined by the lack of profile pic, statuses and whatnot. The person I've been communicating with also hasn't been online for a month, which is very unlikely.

I was just wondering if you finally figured out what's going on and if you could shed a light on this please?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones