When 2.1 is released (officially) and you upgrade, will it wipe your phone?

Last Updated:

1. ToxicToastKatz

ToxicToastKatz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 3, 2009
    I wanted to use a shorter title for the thread, but I didn't want to draw the ire of the community for thinking that I was giving new info on 2.1 :)

In all seriousness though, with all the threads on 2.1 and related topics....WHEN it is finally officially released from HTC/Sprint and it is available to us, the Hero owners, to download and install on our units (most likely through PC/USB upgrading and not OTA....not that it matters for this question) will it wipe the phone?

The reason I am asking is because this is, in fact, a completely new OS and not just an MR patch. I have posed this very question to HTC tech support when asking about another issue and they said that it will not wipe info/settings/etc from the phone. I don't know what to think about that.

With my last WinMo phone, when the Sprint Rev A upgrade came out, it blew out everything from the phone and it was a fresh start. When I upgraded my iMac w/ Snow Leopard, it didn't change a thing. With that comparison, I guess I can believe both sides, however, I was curious if anyone on here has a definitive answer through experience that it wouldn't wipe all the info. Hasn't there been a few OS changes already with Android for the earlier phones? I'm sure there's info out there somewhere, but I was hoping to hear it from someone on here.

This is kind of a relevant question, because if it is going to require a complete wipe, I have absolutely no reason not to root, since I'd have to go back to stock RUU to get the upgrade, which would require a fresh wipe of the phone. I'll most likely still be rooting this week, however, I'm still curious about what the upgrade to 2.1 is going to require.

2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    it's entirely possible, but you might just as well wait for the devs to get their custom 2.1's out
  3. hempwallace

hempwallace Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I don't guess anyone knows at this point. Either way, I'll gladly do the update.

I would almost rather that it completely wipe everyihing and start over. I just think there's a lot less chance for errors and problems that way.
  4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Just wait a few days after the update and ask us again and we'll be able to tell you.
  5. nick325i

nick325i Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009

To save Sprint from a customer service nightmare, no it will be in place upgrade with no loss of contacts/data.

It will probably happen the way our first MR did except it may not be OTA.