when 2.1 roms are released

Last Updated:

1. jimbubba3

jimbubba3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just saw that 2.1 has been released to the source tree, meaning that the devs can start developing some great 2.1. roms. My question is how will I have to install a new rom. I am rooted and running Humancyborgs 2.1 rom. Will I simply just swap out the file in my nandroid folder. Any input would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

interesting question. I assume its the same as the way you flashed to HC's one but I would also be interested in the real answer

3. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

In the past when I switched ROM's for the G1 this is what you had to do: (should be the same but don't take my word on it till someone else conforms it since I'm not rooted)

1. boot into recovery and do a nandroid back up (gotta have this incase you mess up)
    2. wipe/factory reset (cleans the phone so the new rom can go on the blank phone)
    3. install the new ROM - same way you did before [that was the case on the G1] (wait for it to finish and it should return you to the recovery screen too)
    4. reboot then, and your good to go!
    5. reinstall your apps, if you have an app (forgot which ones but there are plenty out there) they can back them up so you don't have to go searching for them again.

4. rhyno

rhyno Well-Known Member

I may be wrong here, but I don't believe a system wipe is necessary. You just need to switch the files in the nandroid directory and the complete a restore. The PITA to me is having to set up and completely reconfigure your phone every time you decide to install a new rom. For that alone, I've decided to wait until the motorolla release.. Although, now that it's open source, there probably won't be much difference.

5. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

I installed a ROM recently (2.01+2.1 apps, the V4 from Sholes just before their RC1), and after installing it I used Sirpsychos sprecovery to restore Data from a nandroid backup I made just before installing the ROM, which put all my apps (and email, settings, etc.) back on the phone as well. So I got the new ROM and didn't have to reinstall any of my apps. Very easy/quick.

6. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

The procedure I think will be identical to the forced 2.0.1 update. Put the update.zip file on the root of your sdcard, boot into recovery, install update, reboot.

Us rooted guys running 2.1 will have to use the nandroid update method.

7. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Hmmm - For those of us *not* rooted and *not* running cooked ROMs, yeah, that would be the procedure - but the OP is asking about having used a 3rd party ROM / beig rooted.

You are saying that it won't matter, Joe?

8. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I am running humancyclops' 2.1 ROM. When the "offical" ROM is released (pre-released ;) ), I will do a backup of all my settings, apps, messages, blah blah blah ... Then I will revert back to the stock 2.0.1 firmware. Then I will apply the 2.1 update. No big deal really.

The key here is that I have a current nandroid recovery backup of my entire DROID. I can revert to it (or any nandroid backup I have on file) in just a couple of minutes.

Did I answer your question? :eek: