When are big businesses going to realise that the iPhone is NOT the ONLY Smart Phone on the Market?

Last Updated:

1. Nagrom

Nagrom Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't know about you guys, but I am sick, and tired of seeing ads on TV that say "Download our new iPhone App". When are big businesses going to start producing the equivalent 'Droid Apps?

So far the ONLY person who has made a 'Droid App is MysteryGuitarMan on You Tube.

Surely with 'Droid being used on more models of phones, they're losing out on alot of business.

C'MON GET WITH IT PEOPLE. THE IPHONE IS NOT THE ONLY SMART PHONE OUT THERE!!!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Okay, rant over. Normal service can now be resumed.

Andy.

Advertisement
  2. kobirulali

kobirulali Well-Known Member

Totally agree, not only that I wish they would just do a 100% conversions of their iPhone apps. Take the official Facebook app i had on my iPhone 3G, it was almost pefect, the Andoid version is c**p!!!

3. dampchimp

dampchimp Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more, unfortunately all the execs probably worship at the alter of Jobs and only know about the iPhones hence get the iPhone app out their "you know for the kids".

4. denialnw10

denialnw10 Well-Known Member

Agreed! +1

Its ridiculous! I guess this must have been what it felt like having a Mac OS throughout the nineties and noughties! lol! Virtually no popular apps or game compatibility!!! :D

5. Vonph

Vonph Active Member

Apple do advertise a lot and very well. I think Android itself needs to be advertised more, which I think is slowly happening lately.

6. Soulshadow

Soulshadow New Member

The development company I work is now including Android as a standard SKU on our projects and currently have a few apps in development. Maybe the tide is turning.

7. mirrorimage

mirrorimage Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I agree with ya there, about android needing to advertise more.
    A big part of the appeal (in my opinion anyway) is the fact that android is nowhere near as ubiquitous as apple.
    I love when some apple fanboy sees my htc and tries to 'outgeek' me, then they're ripped to shreds!
    Every tom 'dick' and harry either has an iphone, or wants one.

Word of mouth. That's what I say.

8. Nagrom

Lets hope so. It's about time developers, and companies realised that the iPhone's dominance isn't as strong as it once was.

You never know. With the flack that Apple has had over its "How not to hold your iPhone 4" farce, more people might move away from Apple to 'Droid. This might be noticed by the big developers, and companies out there.

9. Vonph

Vonph Active Member

Yeah, that was partly why I decided to go 'Droid. :D

10. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Email the firms you want apps for. I have been.

Some big firms are making the move, like Ocado - and the Android app is apparently better than the iphone!

11. loveandroid

loveandroid Well-Known Member

Sorry but I don't need the droid to massage my ego and I dont care what iphone users think of my phone so would be nice to have more apps and at least at the same time as the iphone.

12. mirrorimage

mirrorimage Well-Known Member

Right enough. I'm sorry.

13. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

Got to agree would be good to get the mobile banking apps especially.

14. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

I've seen Android grow at an exponential rate over the last 18 months. Have you been past a Carphone Warehouse lately? Android is plastered all over the windows, Android's day is coming and it is coming soon.

I also believe that Apple has done Android a favour with IPad because Android is far more suitable for bridging between phones and tablet PCs than iOS4 which is still a slave to itunes. Android will soon be dominant on many platforms and it will be impossible to ignore.

15. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

They already are aren't they??

The big realisation came for me when in The Sun they advertised their world cup mobile apps, showing android and iphone. Previously this would only be iphone.

NPower have an app too, and if you look around many of the big businesses either have one now, or are currently producing one.

They go where the money is, and android is growing so fast they can sniff the money.

16. uzetaab

uzetaab Well-Known Member

I know this data is a bit old now, but it certainly makes it seem like android will continue to grow, which will bring it to the attention other businesses.
    [​IMG]

Google also announced not so long ago that they are activating 160,000 phones a day, so the sales this year must already be double or triple last years sales.

Of course Apple still have a lead of a few years compared to android, so it will be a while before there are as many android phones as iphones in the wild.

Which means that If I was in a position to release smartphone apps for my product/business (in the personal consumer market), I'd make the iphone one first & use the profits from it to make a better android app ;)

On a more positive note, I'm hearing about more & more of those kinds of apps for android all the time. imdb, audible, kindle, etc. The future is looking really bright for android!

17. denialnw10

denialnw10 Well-Known Member

It's true, I have noticed more and more big businesses moving into the Android Market! I just cant wait to get some more professionally made apps onto my Desire! :D

18. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

I want my bank (Natwest) to get on board with an app. Sure enough they recently released an iPhone app but no Android one.

Would be nice if TomTom got on-board too :D

19. reech

reech Well-Known Member

Big Business doesn't even know the iPhone exists; I've not met one financial institution in the UK that has deployed iPhone to their staff. I'm currently seeing if I can win them from the RIM of Disaster through to Android :)

20. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Well-Known Member

that's right, the execs (and "normal" people) think it's an excellent phone which does just what they want with a minimum of fuss.....and they're right.

us "techs" go a level deeper and see the flaws in the iPhone.

21. Freddiew

Freddiew Active Member

22. Nagrom

This truely is great news for all us 'Droid, and Desire fans.

Maybe the reign of the so called mighty iPhone is finally coming to an end.

I liken this to the Browser wars. A few years ago, the VAST majority of people ONLY used Internet Explorer, with a few more techy minded ones using Netscape.

Now with the release of more secure, and stable browsers like Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Safari, the consumer has a much bigger choice. They now REALISE that IE is NOT the only browser out there, just like the iPhone isn't the only smart phone. And like IE, it dominance is slowly being eaten away by these new browsers.

Okay I agree, the iPhone is STILL the dominate force in the Smartphone market, but the gap is slowly closing. Especialy with the bad press the iPhone 4 has had.

Now most mainstream web development companies KNOW they MUST support these new browsers, like soon the big corporations out there MUST start to support 'Droid with thier apps, IF they are to remain competitive.

Andy

23. loveandroid

Why the iphone is so important to y'all? I want a better Android not a worst Iphone.

24. Burrid

Burrid Well-Known Member

In phone stores I always see a wall full of iphone accessory crap.
    The wall is bigger than the displayed phones.
    Can't say I like apple, rather hate it.

Hell, I went into an apple store with my girlfriend because she wanted to have a look and instantly a saleswoman comes to us and asks:
    Do you have anything of apple at all? No?
    Still using that rotten windows? Better go with apple.
    ipod, iphone, imac, all much better.

Goddamn I hated that and I immediately left the store.

25. loveandroid

Ehmmm.. you were in an apple store...