1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

When do you think Android will be first?

Last Updated:

1. DRMMR02

DRMMR02 Member This Topic's Starter

It seems every time a company releases a custom app, whether it something trivial like the Chipotle app, or the new Facebook Places app, it comes out for the iPhone first, and many times only for the iPhone. With Android gaining in popularity, giving people from every service provider a ton of Android choices, at what point do you think everyone else will start to catch on and release Android apps with the same frequency as they currently do with iPhone apps?

Advertisement
  2. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

Adobe Air.

3. inphoenix

inphoenix Well-Known Member

4. jamesmckeephx

jamesmckeephx Well-Known Member

maybe soon seeing that andriod is outselling everything now

5. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

It is getting more and more attention from users and more and more iPhone users are going for Android and in a year or so Android will be number one OS in the market. Then it will happen. When? No one knows that yet, soon though.

In the US Android has already taken over with 27% market share over Apple's 23%:

ComScore Research

IDC Forecast for Android

NPD research

6. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

That's not user market share, that's shipped numbers for the quarter. In terms of installed base market share, iPhone is well ahead of Android, and even further ahead if you take into account itouch and iPad devices.

7. RyanB

RyanB Guest

I think when manufacturers stop using older versions of Android (Dell's Streak and Kyocera's Zio on Cricket both will be launched with 1.6). If enough devices (and I suspect this number has to be higher than the 51% or so running 2.1) run the most recent OS (whatever that is at that point), then I think you have a shot at beating the iPhone to a new app. The sales are there, but do companies make something nice that runs on only half the phones, or something lame that'll run on most?

8. Wordslinger

Wordslinger Well-Known Member

Not for a while if the iPhone comes to Verizon. As much as I like Android, I think its growth will be stunted if Verizon customers are given the option to go with an iPhone.

9. watersrules

watersrules Well-Known Member

how about Flash.