when does the phone stop surfing?

Last Updated:

1. Rob Jones

Rob Jones Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When does the Desire stop, for example surfing?

When I'm in The Market and then I go back to my main hope page and then maybe it automatically turns off, does the surfing stop too? Is this what eating my battery? Is this why we (not me at the moment) install killer apps?

Im a little confused

Advertisement
  2. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

Hi.
    Welcome to HTC desire :)
    Is yours running 2.2 ? If so then you have no need to worry so I'm told.
    2.2 sorts a this out for you. Apps sitting n cache men don't impact the phone
    Performance. So I'm told :)

Cheers
    Dan

3. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

If you exit an app by pressing the Home button, the app, I believe, goes to sleep as you left it, so when you go back to it, it's doing what it did when you hit Home.

If you exit by using the back button I think that turns it off. For example, if I exit Angry Birds by hitting the Home button, going back to Angry Birds picks up from where I left off. If I go back to the AB home page and press Back, the game asks me if I want to exit.

Either way, the app shouldn't be using any resources if it's not in use. There are exceptions for apps that are always on, those that carry out periodic updates.

You don't need app killers, battery monitors, etc. Android isn't like Windows.

If your battery seems to be draining when you're not using the phone then check your apps, there might be a rogue one that's calling out to the net without you realising. When your phone is resting (not in use, screen blank) battery use should be minimum.

I've had days when I've barely touched my phone and after 8 hours on the battery is still on 80% (the phone still updates periodically as set up by me!)

4. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

The stock browser can be a bit of a bu99er for this. I found it was eating my battery if I left it looking at a forum I moderate. Basically the forum page has adverts that refresh which takes CPU and bandwidth. Not too bad when your on WiFi but a real killer when you're out-and-about switching between 2 and 3G. It will also keep animating gifs and flash etc.

The fix is to make sure you back out of the browser - a bit of a pain when you've been surfing a bit but there is a work-around. When you want to quit:

Menu->Windows-> + (to open a new window)
    Menu->Windows - hit the (x) on the corner of all other windows then select the new one
    Back

Your browser is now idle and won't eat battery. (You could also make sure the browser is only looking at a static page with no moving stuff that won't refresh).

Why they didn't just stick a quit in the menu's I'll never know...

5. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "stop surfing".

Incorrect, please ignore: For one thing, the browser should not use any more data after it's finished loading a page. If you're looking at an auto-refreshing page, it should only update as long as you're using the browser app -- not when you switch over to, say, your calendar. Sorry. :eek:

However, when you do switch over to another app, the browser isn't shut down, just put on pause. There's no harm in this. Look at it this way: work takes power, so shutting an app down takes more work (=battery) than just keeping it paused (not doing anything). Now, if your phone runs low on resources, it will go around and kill all those paused apps, but (unless they misbehave) it's really not necessary to kill them manually -- in fact that will end up costing you more battery. (There's a very good thread here somewhere about why you don't need a task killer, but I can't find it right now. I can only find this, which is very brief and abstract but gets some of the idea across.)

Another thing: All the apps that a task killer app will show are currently running (if the task killer app is worth its salt). On the other hand, the "recent apps" list you get with a long-press of the Home key lists just that: recent apps, whether or not they are actually running. So don't take that as an indication of application state.

6. marshduck

marshduck Member

For the Stock Browser, Griff_Li is correct.

Try this test:

Go to a webpage in the stock browser. It starts loading.
    Hit the home key.
    Wait a little while. (play angry birds even :))
    Go back to the browser (long press on home key)
    You will find that the web page has completed loading.
    I use this "feature" all the time, when I am in a poor data reception areas and the browser is slow.
    I did fall foul of this once on a constantly updating page and used 100Mb data overnight :mad:

Following Griff_Li steps will, ensure that the browser is not running.

Cheers

7. master_yoda

master_yoda Well-Known Member

I Get round the problem of the stock browser using data and eating away at the battery buy setting my home page to google, I Then select home on the browser every time I Finish browsing, ...no data is used by the browser at all once ive exited it then.

BubbaHotepUK likes this.
  8. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

some nice tips there :)

are people still using dolphin hd? i tried regular version and wasnt that impressed - i get the feeling that this was mainly used before 2.2 ?

cheers
    dan

9. StevenSeed

StevenSeed Well-Known Member

I can highly recommend Dolphin HD - I now use it for all my web-browsing needs and it has a handy "exit" button when you quit.

Some will recommend Opera, but I find it quite slow and unstable on HTC Desire.

10. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

hi - thanks - will give hd a try out then .............. once ive charged my phone again :/ :D

cheers
    dan

11. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

+1 for Dolphin HD. Long press the Back button when you want to exit and you get options to clear history and cache too ;)

12. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

Using hd now. Like the swiped and full
    Screen mode.
    It still struggles to focus page correctly
    When entering text for posts :/

13. ccrows

ccrows Well-Known Member

If you really want it to stop it "Advanced Task Killer" FTW.

Then again you'll have a bunch of people saying "ATK bad for battery"... :rolleyes: