• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When iPad mini comes at $199...

I still don't see how the "cloud strategy" is a main feature of the N7. I know that's definitely one of your pet peeves about the N7. If Google really cared, they would've included a promotion for cloud services. Kind of like how Google wants people to embrace the Play Store, they gave you free credit to test drive it. Back to the ipad, There's no way that it costs less than $350. Apple isn't about to cannibalize their own market (ipod touch)

Not too long to find out :)

Upvote 0
I agree with everyone here. On top of the fact that it's simply apple, you have to remember that Nexus 7 and the iPad mini are polar opposites
The Nexus 7 is all about MAXIMIZING potential. It IS the new leader.
Meanwhile the iPad mini is all about compromise. A tablet for the iSheep that haven't quite been as successful but are just as dumb.
I am a huge Google evangelist, but what you've said makes no sense.

The 7" format is a compromise, as the 10" or any other size format.

Upvote 0
Apple definitely would cannibalize their own market if they felt like it would be a good move. Remember, no one thought a tablet would be useful yet the iPad was a hit. The truth is PMP's are dying. Take one look at the market. Apple isn't stupid, they know the market well. A iPad mini gets the touch people while appealing to all the people that want a cheaper, smaller iPad.

Upvote 0
The Apple bashing is downright deluded, as usual. Apple makes an extremely high quality product.

I think a 7" tablet is going to be priced more around the $300 mark. I highly doubt you'll see it at $250 or less, because that's not Apple's ball game. Honestly, I think that would be bad, long-term, for their brand. They'd make a big splash and sell a lot of units, but there's a reason BMW doesn't make a $12,000 vehicle - and it's not because they couldn't sell a $12,000 vehicle.

Google believes it can push the edge of the market by selling a tablet at cost. In order to build a $200 tablet, Apple would have to either make some serious compromises, or lose money on each tablet - and they don't work like that. However, with Jobs no longer at the helm, we may well see some odd moves in the future, so there's no telling...

A post here involving Apple that is full of common sense and rationale? Please reset the countdown for another two weeks until we see one again.

Upvote 0
Actually Apple is already changing. Do you really think Jobs would have let Siri out for the 4S?

Back to the hate. Why would I want a 7" or even 9" iPhone that can't make calls?

Seeing as how Jobs didn't step down from his position as CEO until August, only for the 4S to be released a short two months later in October, he most certainly knew that Siri would be a part of it. So yes, Jobs totally approved of the iPhone having Siri as a feature, as they had been working on it probably the entire year since Apple acquired the small company making it.

I don't think an iPad Mini will be happening this year. However, if it does, I would suspect it to be the 7.85" that's rumored, with the same 1024x768 resolution as the first 2 iPads, and either the same processor as the iPad 2 or a slightly trimmed down version of the more powerful A5X in the "new" iPad.

However, the iPhone 5 is also rumored to bump up to 4", and may feature a widescreen aspect ratio. It will be very surprising if this is true, as Apple has always said over and over how iOS scales so easily, so it's hard to imagine them changing the aspect ratio. If they do however, then the iPad Mini may also have a widescreen aspect ratio.

My guess is that they would actually price it at $399, while dropping the iPad 2 to $299. I can see them touting the smaller size with the same power as the iPad 2 as being a "premium feature", thus having it cost more than the iPad 2.

Either way, if an iPad Mini gets released, I suspect that it will be very underwhelming, as with most Apple devices.

Upvote 0
Yeah, because we all know how much a guy with pancreatic cancer can run a company.

I have no love for Apple but we all saw how Jobs ran things. Siri seems like a beta test.

I'm pretty sure that a guy with pancreatic cancer could have easily said no to them including Siri that he himself had no part in working on. Point is, he knew about it, and allowed it to be a feature of the iPhone 4S. So your statement of "do you really think Jobs would let Siri out for the 4S" is false because quite obviously he did, and would have even without the cancer. And just because Siri seems like a beta test, doesn't mean Jobs wouldn't have approved of it. Yes, Siri is a gimmick, especially compared to Google Now.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure that a guy with pancreatic cancer could have easily said no to them including Siri that he himself had no part in working on. Point is, he knew about it, and allowed it to be a feature of the iPhone 4S. So your statement of "do you really think Jobs would let Siri out for the 4S" is false because quite obviously he did, and would have even without the cancer. And just because Siri seems like a beta test, doesn't mean Jobs wouldn't have approved of it. Yes, Siri is a gimmick, especially compared to Google Now.

Let me hit you with some chemo and let's see how well you do your job. I don't have time for this. DiffEQ is much better to argue with.

Upvote 0
I never say never......but at this point. I would not buy one. I just couldn't justify paying that much for a tablet, just as I couldn't justify driving a BMW. Granted, if I was rolling in the dough, I would have both.

I have an android phone through Sprint and had seriously considered the iPhone since its release. I had been waiting patiently for the next updated version. Went out looking for a good 7 inch tablet and had even considered the Kindle. While researching, I saw a comment on a u-tube video about the Nexus 7 and all its goodness.

Now, had I pulled the trigger on the iPhone.....it would make sense to get the 7 iPad. I know a lot of folks own the iPhone, iPad, and BMW as a status symble. I've never been one to worry about status. And, my Android devices doing everything I need...and more :D

Upvote 0
I never say never......but at this point. I would not buy one. I just couldn't justify paying that much for a tablet, just as I couldn't justify driving a BMW. Granted, if I was rolling in the dough, I would have both.

I have an android phone through Sprint and had seriously considered the iPhone since its release. I had been waiting patiently for the next updated version. Went out looking for a good 7 inch tablet and had even considered the Kindle. While researching, I saw a comment on a u-tube video about the Nexus 7 and all its goodness.

Now, had I pulled the trigger on the iPhone.....it would make sense to get the 7 iPad. I know a lot of folks own the iPhone, iPad, and BMW as a status symble. I've never been one to worry about status. And, my Android devices doing everything I need...and more :D

Strongly agree with u especially about the last paragraph.
I can always saw iPhone users talk in a sharp tongue abt other phones/phone owners. I guess they lack self-confidence and self-pride so much that they have to rely these values on a dead gadget. Of course I agree that a phone or any other gadgets can be a status symbol for individual. But exaggeration will make them stupid.

Upvote 0
The only way we will know how well is does is to watch the sales numbers. One can argue that something else is better, but remember, it is Apple.

Here is an interesting factoid: Apple's revenue generated by the iPhone--just the iPhone-- is greater than all of Microsoft.

I think if Apple lowers the price on the iPhone 5 and offers a sub-200.00 iPad, they will sell millions of units.

OR,

Something amazing and Android will arrive that changes the game altogether.

We will know when these products arrive.

Upvote 0
Apple will not sell a $199 tablet because it doesn't have to. Who would want a "race to the bottom" strategy? If you build a desirable product, market it properly & communicate its features effectively, you'll surely earn well.

Old Apple perhaps, but we live in a post Jobs era. With Steve gone, Apple might become a different company. Not sure how it will change but if the bean counters get involved, you might see lots of stuff Jobs would never approve while he was alive.

OR,

Apple will find another Steve Jobbish leader and not much will change.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones