• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When is 2.2 coming out?

What a great thread until.... I guess that's what happens when you let the kiddies in the pool. Any way... Hopefully they're gone.

@ Smacky - I really thought you were asking for it when I saw the thread subject line but what a great post. I completely agree on slowing down the updates and building upon a good foundation and just releasing small incremental updates.

I know sense and carriers cause problems with updates but I definitely think that there would be less fragmentation if Google would wait to roll out updates until all phones slated to get the updates are ready. It would also alleviate frustration for those that just bought phones with the old software.

Dunno how I missed your post. Stupid Tapatalk.

There will always be a delay of some sort as long as custom UIs are still used.

The update is released to Google phones (N1, Droid, G1, etc.) and UI providers simultaneously. The UI provider is what slows it down by becoming a middle-man.

So, Google can release it to BLUR and Sense devs first, have them finish it for their products and then release it to both parties at once, or it can release it to first-party phones and let third parties do whatever with them. Either way, there's a delay.

So with that being said, there will always be some sort of fragmentation. If it isn't in firmware version it's in the UI. And the custom UIs are what kills the phone, IMO. It's great for introductory phones, but once you get the hang of it, I think most people can learn to deal with the Home setting, and ditch the custom UI. Think how much faster a phone would be with no custom UI? You can disable it, but it still runs some processes in the background which give minimal gains in performance.

If it was able to completely stop Sense or MOTOBLUR, then it would be awesome. Too bad we can't, unless we have a root.

Upvote 0
The Eris might not be getting 2.1, let alone getting 2.2.
We already have 2.1. Will everyone STFU about the Eris not getting 2.1. News flash, IT'S ALREADY OUT, I'm running it right now. No one is going to start working on updating a phone then just randomly stop. Eris most likely won't be getting 2.2, but that's ok because by the time 2.2 rolls out to other phones, my 2 yr. contract will most likely be up.

Upvote 0
We already have 2.1. Will everyone STFU about the Eris not getting 2.1. News flash, IT'S ALREADY OUT, I'm running it right now. No one is going to start working on updating a phone then just randomly stop. Eris most likely won't be getting 2.2, but that's ok because by the time 2.2 rolls out to other phones, my 2 yr. contract will most likely be up.

I mean official 2.1.

Upvote 0
...So, no word on kitten-revival-technology?

Aw.. that's been around for three, four years now..

revival.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones