• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When life was simple.....

No.

Android was designed to be scalable, and pliable enough to be implemented on multiple hardware platforms. The fact it has expanded onto many handsets is a testament to it's wildfire success.

I like having options. I think the iPhone sucks precisely because it lacks that. Steve Jobs basically decides what ALL of us should use. I like that Android users can choose between different sizes and styles and types of keyboards, etc.

The risk here is that the Android system ends up unrecognizable as such. Google needs to establish customization limitations and also make sure that everyone has the option to use the plain UI.

But I see nothing wrong with allowing phone makers to offer their own themes.

Upvote 0
I know Android was designed to become huge and I don't doubt its success. All I really mean is that the Android Market has, very arguably, become fragmented and split up into sections meant for some firmwares and phones. I think its a great thing that there is so much choice in Android, I regret my title for this thread.

Upvote 0
I want customizable but I wish we could just install Android (or have automatic updates) straight from google instead of worrying if we're going to get an update from the OEM/carrier for each and every one of their phones. There are 5 zillion PC's but if you want Windows 7, you get it from Microsoft and not the PC company or your ISP.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones