1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

When Skype is released, what would you prefer to pay?

What would you consider to be fair if Skype charged for its service on the Evo?

1. Nothing. It should be free like on PC.

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. Pay for the App and Free Monthly Use

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. A contract with Skype for Mobile Use (Minute Plan)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Some other method (Elaborate)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nyczducky

nyczducky Active Member

Skype is available currently for Verizon customers. However they have not included nor announced that they would be releasing video chat as of yet. (There was an article that originally said they would but they later took it back)

Lets say that Skype was out for the Evo and supported video calls from mobile to PC and visa versa, what would you pay per month for it?

Vote above and if you want leave a little explanation if you want.

I'd say to have a one time charge of $5 for the application and free monthly use. Correct me if I'm wrong but Skype is a P2P VOIP. So it would be Sprint's bandwidth we are using with minimal server usage on Skype's end. And I don't know about you but I'm paying a $10 a month to have my "premium" data package (3G cause NYC doesn't have 4G yet). I damn well better get free Skype functionality. But Skype has to make money some how.

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Free. Period.

And it wouldn't be minimal server usage on Skype's end - they use a cloud model for routing.

Seriously - a Skype client is not something you pay for, and we already have unlimited data - and can access SiP with Fring already.

Trust me - Skype is making plenty of money.
  3. Klaskimo

Klaskimo Member

I doubt skype will make you pay for the program. It is free on pc and will probably be free on mobile. It has plenty of other features that they make money off of.