when will the cliq be recieving the android 2.1 update?

Last Updated:

1. richie021501

richie021501 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I've heard from various sources that the motorola cliq will be getting android 2.1 in the future. Now I'm not sure if this is true or not but I heard that motorola officially announced this. However I couldn't find any info regarding when this update will be released for the cliq, does anyone have any idea when the cliq will be getting this update???

Advertisement
  2. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone other than Motorola know at the moment. It's true that Motorola's CEO confirmed during CES that the CLIQ/DEXT and the new BACKFLIP will be getting 2.1, but he didn't reveal any sort of timescale as to just when it would be released unfortunately. I suspect it'll be at some point in the first half of the year, but I wouldn't expect it to appear anytime soon.

3. JohnD

JohnD New Member

Hope that...

4. richie021501

richie021501 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wow that sucks, I was hoping to get it sometime soon, like within a couple of months :/.....but thanks!

5. ruizakardubb

ruizakardubb New Member

I had to call in for tech support when my Cliq was stuck on the boot screen and in talking to the tech support guy he said that the 2.1 update should be coming very soon. Within a couple months atleast

6. kurtis.austin2

kurtis.austin2 Member

The CLIQ will be getting the 2.1 update in February.

My friend John manages a Tmobile in Portland and he sold me the behold II a couple months ago.. and since I am sick of that phone and hate it, he is going to be selling me the CLIQ this coming Tuesday and he told be that it is receiving the 2.1 update in February. So that's pretty exciting

7. YouNoAsian

YouNoAsian Well-Known Member

Having worked for T-Mobile USA Im sure that your friends date is purely speculation. Motorola will release it when it is ready. My guess would be the end of march to coincide with the backflip release.

8. keebs29

keebs29 Active Member

I HOPE the Cliq gets it soon. I am working on my 3RD Cliq here because of all the problems ive had. I was considering buying the Nexus One but changed my mind. I love the Cliq, i just don't like switching devices thats only been on the market for 3 months. :(

9. billshy

billshy New Member

what problems?

10. dennis-

dennis- Member

id be happy with 1.6. or 2.0. just got my cliq today after days of research on versions and stuff and saw 1.5 on the phone.

11. keebs29

keebs29 Active Member

@Billshy: The first one wouldn't anser my calls when I went to swipe it open (Like when the phone is locked), they (the techs) said it was a software problem and it kept dropping calls for no reason

The 2nd one: well, it was stuck in the EDGE network instead of 3g for a week,. The (TECH) over the phone did a HARD reset and it locked my phone.

So now I'm waiting on my 3RD one. Wish me luck. :)

12. docpeter

docpeter New Member

On this note:

I am having battery problems. My battery won't stay charged for more than a day; I seldom use the phone. I have to recharge every night the battery will be down to 25% in the evening.

Also, the phone for the past two days has done an auto reboot that never completes. It will shut down and start to reboot and only makes it to the white/pink "stick together" screen. The only way to get the phone to work after that is to remove all power and battery. Then reboot, but that reboot only lasts for a few hours.

BTW, I got my phone last Friday, 4 days ago.

13. YouNoAsian

YouNoAsian Well-Known Member

Do you have the Google Voice app downloaded on your device. I was having similar problems until I uninstalled it. My battery now last 1.5 days with normal 3g use texting and a couple of short calls.

14. galapogos

galapogos Active Member

Will the processor on the CLIQ be fast enough to support 2.1?

15. htatc

htatc New Member

New to Android. Actually never had an Android phone. Currently an Iphone user. Kinda tired of the resrtictivness of Apple. Anywho, I am currently looking to purchase an unlocked Cliq for use overseas. Will I be able to update this phone with future Android updates or would I need to be on the Tmo network to get the updates? Thanks.

16. InitialG

InitialG Well-Known Member

Well, I hope you're right. It's February right now and a new firmware update sounds great!

17. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

Well Motorola is still releasing phones running on 1.6. They must have trouble getting MOTOBLUR to work with the later versions of android.

18. InitialG

InitialG Well-Known Member

Doesn't the devour come with 1.6?

19. jradicle11

Yes, it comes with 1.6. MOTOBLUR was created using 1.6 and I guess they haven't got it quite functional with 2.1 but they're definitely working on it.

20. kurtis.austin2

kurtis.austin2 Member

how was MOTOBLUR created using 1.6? when the CLIQ is running 1.5

21. jradicle11

Well, I'm running the Devour which is 1.6, so I guessing I was basing it off that.

22. willvv

willvv New Member

hi @htatc, I'm using a CLIQ outside USA and I was able to update it about a month ago, I had to download the file from Motorola's site and manually install it (I think T-Mobile just sent the update to their subscribers).

I hope I can do the same when the 2.1 update is made available.

23. Trinidon

Trinidon Member

24. Xman

Xman Member

25. pepperdro

pepperdro Member

FINALLY! haha, I couldn't stand going from the 1.6 G1 to a 1.5 cliq. at least now I have an approximate timeline for getting Google maps navigation back!