• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When will the Droid get the official 2.1?

All that was said at the event today was that it will be released in the coming days, along with Google Earth.

Seems like it will be released to developers, not to the masses.

HOWEVER,

I'm sure devs will be working to get it on the Droid and if you are rooted, you will have the full, non-buggy 2.1 available within a couple of days of its open-source release.

If you are not rooted, you will have to wait til Motorola tweaks it for the Droid and releases it, probably in conjunction with Verizon, which will be a hassle. Might be weeks or months before it's officially released OTA or by another medium via Verizon.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I'd like to be. This is just what I've been hearing.

Upvote 0
wasn't there a rumor of something being scheduled for the 22nd?
There was a leaked memo that contained a list of scheduled fixes. Half of them were done in december and labeled "2.0.1". The other half were scheduled for Jan 22. With the recent release of 2.1, people are hoping for it on the 22nd. But unless VZ drastically alters the list we'll probably only get "2.0.2".

Upvote 0
I'm thinking the previously mentioned jan 22 date may be for this 2.1 release. Theres this from gizmodo:

"A few non-visual things to know about Android 2.1. Everybody will get access to it when it goes open source in a few days (hurray!). There's still no multitouch in Google apps. But! The internal storage limit on applications will be going away soon with an upgrade Google mentioned."

A Visual Guide to Android 2.1 - android 2.1 - Gizmodo

Upvote 0
It sounds almost like verizon is looking to replace the eris with the nexus one as its premier no keyboard android phone. But i would think they would atleast have the 2.1 released before or around the time that the nexus one is released to have two phones (android smart phones) on display side by side with same features promoting the option to keyboard or no. Atleast thats what they were pitching when i bought my droid at the verizon corporate store down here; they had the droid next to the droid eris and the big sell was big bulky phone with keyboard or small touchscreen.

Upvote 0
Google has more control over this than Motorola. Remember when we all got the file for the forced update? It came from Google. Google was asked about Android updates at the event and they said that all Google Experience devices will be updated to the highest version they can support. It's pretty clear the Droid can run 2.1, so I see no reason why they wouldn't update it.

There's even going to be a Verizon version of the Nexus One. So the CDMA/Verizon tweaked version of 2.1 will obviously exist soon, if not already. It will come... sooner or later.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones