When will the Droid get the official 2.1?

Last Updated:

1. MikeElia

MikeElia New Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone know?

Advertisement
  2. square

square Well-Known Member

3. hopla

hopla Active Member

All that was said at the event today was that it will be released in the coming days, along with Google Earth.

4. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

That is great news. Hope it is sooner than later.

5. jimbubba3

jimbubba3 Well-Known Member

When will the droid get 2.1. Now that's the million dollar question. I wish I new. Not that it will really be a massive change. After we all get 2.1 we will all just start asking when the 2.1.1 update will be out. Its just a vicous cycle with technology these days.

6. DroidJnkie

DroidJnkie Well-Known Member

Seems like it will be released to developers, not to the masses.

HOWEVER,

I'm sure devs will be working to get it on the Droid and if you are rooted, you will have the full, non-buggy 2.1 available within a couple of days of its open-source release.

If you are not rooted, you will have to wait til Motorola tweaks it for the Droid and releases it, probably in conjunction with Verizon, which will be a hassle. Might be weeks or months before it's officially released OTA or by another medium via Verizon.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I'd like to be. This is just what I've been hearing.

7. JSchu22

JSchu22 Well-Known Member Contributor

If it's up to Verizon (which it probably is), who knows when we will get it. They were surprisingly quick with the 2.0.1 update though, but that was likely due some glaring problems and 2.1 isn't about that. I'm not going to be surprised if it's a while though.

8. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member

wasn't there a rumor of something being scheduled for the 22nd?

9. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Days??? Hours! :cool:

10. virtus

virtus Well-Known Member

There was a leaked memo that contained a list of scheduled fixes. Half of them were done in december and labeled "2.0.1". The other half were scheduled for Jan 22. With the recent release of 2.1, people are hoping for it on the 22nd. But unless VZ drastically alters the list we'll probably only get "2.0.2".

11. ConquistadorTX

ConquistadorTX Member

I'm thinking the previously mentioned jan 22 date may be for this 2.1 release. Theres this from gizmodo:

"A few non-visual things to know about Android 2.1. Everybody will get access to it when it goes open source in a few days (hurray!). There's still no multitouch in Google apps. But! The internal storage limit on applications will be going away soon with an upgrade Google mentioned."

A Visual Guide to Android 2.1 - android 2.1 - Gizmodo

12. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Well-Known Member

Verizon will not Push 2.1, Google Will.

13. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

Here's to hoping it's the 22nd!

14. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

lucky biches..lol. we cant even get 2.0

15. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member

just curious, if the droid doesn't get 2.1 -- would that opt out the droid eris from getting it too? or would somehow the droid eris get the 2.1 and not the droid?

16. CSSVT

CSSVT Member

I'd say the chance of the Droid NOT getting 2.1 is less than .00000001%. I'd say its the most likely pre-nexus one device to get the update first.

17. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

Official 2.1 from Verizon will most likely come out jan 22nd give or take 3 days or so. I'll bet a coke on that :). It'll be here before we know it.

18. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

Oooo I cannot waiitttt for some nice fluid animations! I have the 2.1 launcher and cannot wait for the reall deal. The droid will be a bit more snappy too.... :)

19. pilotcharles747

pilotcharles747 Well-Known Member

It sounds almost like verizon is looking to replace the eris with the nexus one as its premier no keyboard android phone. But i would think they would atleast have the 2.1 released before or around the time that the nexus one is released to have two phones (android smart phones) on display side by side with same features promoting the option to keyboard or no. Atleast thats what they were pitching when i bought my droid at the verizon corporate store down here; they had the droid next to the droid eris and the big sell was big bulky phone with keyboard or small touchscreen.

20. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

Google has more control over this than Motorola. Remember when we all got the file for the forced update? It came from Google. Google was asked about Android updates at the event and they said that all Google Experience devices will be updated to the highest version they can support. It's pretty clear the Droid can run 2.1, so I see no reason why they wouldn't update it.

There's even going to be a Verizon version of the Nexus One. So the CDMA/Verizon tweaked version of 2.1 will obviously exist soon, if not already. It will come... sooner or later.