• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root When will the official Gingerbread OTA get root?

Some users are not that tech savvy and are not comfortable flashing something. They want a simple solution and a 1-click root app would do that. It isn't laziness, it's comfort. The users of this forum are the exception, not the rule, and don't represent the overwhelming population that has no interest in digging into the more complex modifications of their phone.

'Tis true...

These same users often come back after having used a 1-click rooting method and needing to un-root and are often surprised / shocked at the often technical nature of what it takes to accomplish this. We saw this time and again on the Eris forums.

I do wish folks were more invested in learning about all of the consequences and responsibilities of gaining root access, but I understand that that's not always going to happen, eh? ;)

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Some users are not that tech savvy and are not comfortable flashing something. They want a simple solution and a 1-click root app would do that. It isn't laziness, it's comfort. The users of this forum are the exception, not the rule, and don't represent the overwhelming population that has no interest in digging into the more complex modifications of their phone.

With One click roots, people that know nothing about the working of Android OS root just because it's so easy. Instead of reading how root works, what they can do and not to do. They just skip all of that and end up doing stupid things like they start deleting apps they shouldn't and end up with an unusable phone.

Edit: I am too slow with my post...lol

We know Steven says he isn't tech savvy, but he's got some skills ;)
*rolls eyes* It's so the newbs don't get intimidated. He's one of the most knowledgeable person I know.

Upvote 0
With these forums you don't even have to be tech savvy..

All the information is here, everything you could want to know about these phones can be found here, or by a simple search. You just have to take the time to find it, read it, and learn it.

As long as you can follow directions, you can do pretty much whatever you want to do to your phone.

I could troll these forums all day long and still have some learning to do.. I guess that's why I keep a tab open to this site at work every day. :D

P.S. - If you want root, just flash the pre rooted files, it is basically the same thing as OTA and has rootz!

Upvote 0
With these forums you don't even have to be tech savvy..

All the information is here, everything you could want to know about these phones can be found here, or by a simple search. You just have to take the time to find it, read it, and learn it.

As long as you can follow directions, you can do pretty much whatever you want to do to your phone.

I could troll these forums all day long and still have some learning to do.. I guess that's why I keep a tab open to this site at work every day. :D

P.S. - If you want root, just flash the pre rooted files, it is basically the same thing as OTA and has rootz!

yes the information is here, but it's alot more time intensive than a simple one click, i spent the better part of the day - 8hrs! today getting the jist of flashing and sbf and taking my phone from ota gb back to froyo, then flashed into rooted gb, so it's NOT SO simple, but the information is available if you take the TIME!

Upvote 0
yes the information is here, but it's alot more time intensive than a simple one click, i spent the better part of the day - 8hrs! today getting the jist of flashing and sbf and taking my phone from ota gb back to froyo, then flashed into rooted gb, so it's NOT SO simple, but the information is available if you take the TIME!

That may be true, meaning it took you time to read and figure things out, but you also learned a lot more than you would have by simply using a one-click :D

Upvote 0

i agree...but the flashing priocess really is quite simple...i hate to say this but in all honesty...if a person can't be bothered to learn how to flash something through recovery then they shouldn't root...

because with rooting comes risk...and the process for fixing the problems that can arise as a result of rooting...is MUCH more advanced then messing up the phone in the first place...

'Tis true...

These same users often come back after having used a 1-click rooting method and needing to un-root and are often surprised / shocked at the often technical nature of what it takes to accomplish this. We saw this time and again on the Eris forums.

I do wish folks were more invested in learning about all of the consequences and responsibilities of gaining root access, but I understand that that's not always going to happen, eh? ;)

Cheers!

+100

and it not being simple is a GOOD thing IMO...again, not meaning to be harsh...but if youre unable, or in 99% of cases UNWILLING to learn how to use clockwork recovery, or SBF then you SHOULD NOT be modding your device...

Upvote 0
For me, the necessity of being able to root OTA GB in place is that I currently have no fall back point if I don't like how it turns out. I'm a total noob but from what I understand my only option is to return to stock first. I don't have root now so there is no way for me to make a nandroid backup (or something similar) to fall back on. I don't really mind losing everything in an attempt to make my phone better, but if I don't like the results or it turns out to be a bigger pain than i'm willing to deal with, it would be nice to be able to just jump back to the way my phone was in the beginning.

Of course this would all have been alleviated had I not accidentally allowed the OTA GB update to do its thing. :(

Upvote 0
The most time consuming thing is learning how to do everything you're gonna do to your phone. Once you take the time to gather up all the info and get to understanding it, doing it IS simple.

The only reason people THINK it's complicated is because they don't understand the process of what it is they want to do. Sure, you're gonna run into a few snags along the way. But that's what others are here for.

If you wanna do this stuff yourself then you have to learn. If you don't want to take the time to learn then I would suggest you pay someone else to do it for you.

Upvote 0
For me, the necessity of being able to root OTA GB in place is that I currently have no fall back point if I don't like how it turns out. I'm a total noob but from what I understand my only option is to return to stock first. I don't have root now so there is no way for me to make a nandroid backup (or something similar) to fall back on. I don't really mind losing everything in an attempt to make my phone better, but if I don't like the results or it turns out to be a bigger pain than i'm willing to deal with, it would be nice to be able to just jump back to the way my phone was in the beginning.

Of course this would all have been alleviated had I not accidentally allowed the OTA GB update to do its thing. :(

you absolutely do have fall back points...and none of this would change by having a 1-click root option...you can SBF to Froyo and install the 2 part rooted GB in less than a half hour...OR you can use the Gingerbread SBF file and take yourself back to stock unrooted Gingerbread...

if you install the rooted GB and do nothing you will be EXACTLY where you are right now...

being rooted means NOTHING unless you actually do something with it...installing the rooted GB is going to give you the EXACT same experience you have right now...only difference is that there will be one more app in your app drawer called "Super User."

if you don't download any root apps or flash any mods there is nothing to worry about...

even if there was a 1-click method...and you messed something up...you would still have to SBF to fix the problem...the FIX is the same whether rooting is done through clockwork, or a 1-click app...

doing the rooting through clockwork will make fixing the problems SO MUCH EASIER because you will be more familiar with the process...and once you have done it once...you will think you are a pro...you will legitimately feel proud of yourself like you accomplished something so awesome...

Upvote 0
I was under the impression that with a 1-click solution like z4 your phone does not get wiped (apps, settings, etc). Is this incorrect?

Yes, you are indeed correct! :)

Z4root uses the rageagainstthecage root exploit (exploiting certain race conditions [see Android Root Source Code: Looking at the C-Skills – Intrepidus Group - Insight]) to insert the su program, busybox, and the SuperUser.apk app which give you your root powers / privileges.

Its non-"lossy", if you will (i.e., you don't have to revert back to Froyo (losing any current GB apps/setup, etc) in order to re-install the two-part pre-rooted GB .zip files).

The GB root method is really the only game in town at the moment. I don't know if anyone is actively working on tweaking / test GingerBreak to try to get it to work on the Droid X's GingerBread (it will root some other phone's GB installs, but not all).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Ok. Then I guess for the time being I will wait to see if something similar emerges. My thinking is that i'd like to root and immediately backup with nandroid so I have something to revert to.

Yeah, VP, I hear you...

Having a 1-click root option that allows you invoke a custom recovery to initiate a Nandroid backup was a very nice option to have for Froyo (or at the very least be able to backup all of your apps, etc. with TiBu).

We'll all be here when / if you do decide to root or if a 1-click solution pops-up.

By the way, welcome to AndroidForums (should have done that first, LOL :)).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Nope, your personal stuff like pictures are stored on your SD card, that doesn't get wiped.
Your user data, such as texts, contacts and that sort of stuff are wiped when you clear data/cache, but you have ways (even when not rooted) to back those up.
The only real problem I have with the process is my damned Angry Birds scores go away and I have to start over.

Upvote 0
Nope, your personal stuff like pictures are stored on your SD card, that doesn't get wiped.
Your user data, such as texts, contacts and that sort of stuff are wiped when you clear data/cache, but you have ways (even when not rooted) to back those up.
The only real problem I have with the process is my damned Angry Birds scores go away and I have to start over.

+1

I'm still running the first rooted gb leak and didnt lose a thing when it was installed.

Upvote 0
Yeah, VP, I hear you...

Having a 1-click root option that allows you invoke a custom recovery to initiate a Nandroid backup was a very nice option to have for Froyo (or at the very least be able to backup all of your apps, etc. with TiBu).

We'll all be here when / if you do decide to root or if a 1-click solution pops-up.

By the way, welcome to AndroidForums (should have done that first, LOL :)).

Cheers!

Thanks! :)

Upvote 0
If you go back to 2.2 to installed the rooted 2.3 will you lose all data on your phone, like pictures/videos, apps/games and their data?

That was the thing I really liked about the 1 click root, everything was intact.

here is my problem with this type of thinking...and this is NOT a personal attack against you...so when i use the word "you" don't take it personally...

1. To begin, no you will not lose your pictures/videos...your apps/games are easy to get back...but their data will be gone...texts and contacts are easily backed up as well...

2. If people had listened to those of us on the "leak" in the first place you would not have had to lose ANYTHING in the process...

How you ask?...When the OTA was imminent it was WIDELY stated to NOT take the OTA...and that it would break root and it may never be possible to root the OTA...many people decided that they would wait for a 1-click solution and took the OTA anyway...

Now...if you had stayed on Froyo instead of taking the OTA...you could have used titanium backup to backup all your apps and data...flashed the 2-part Gingerbread (which was released BEFORE the OTA went widespread) and restored your apps/data with titanium...

you would have been rooted...on gingerbread...with all your apps/data/pictures/videos/texts/contacts/everything...DAYS before those wanting to wait on a 1-click solution...

3. you are right in thinking a 1-click solution avoids this...but it DOES NOT help you in the event that something goes wrong...if you remove the wrong piece of bloatware, or have a wonky flash of a mod...and your phone craps out...you're going to be on the forums in a panic screaming about a bricked phone and you've got no clue how to fix it...

4. Someone is going to suggest you SBF your device...and you're going to be lost...making the situation worse you're in a panic because you think you bricked the phone...its possible the SBF might fail...maybe you only had like 30-40% battery left on your device when you bricked it and now you CAN'T SBF because your battery is dead....

5. If you had taken the time to learn these processes under a no stress situation like upgrading from rooted Froyo to rooted Gingerbread then you would be familiar with the process and it would make fixing things when they inevitably go wrong MUCH MUCH easier...

Upvote 0
It was very well said but what about those of us that did the OTA with no intention of trying to root their phone but decided to? Thats the boat that im in. Downloaded the OTA when it was first released and love it but I just want to do something different with my phone now and try to root it.

So you need to now SBF back to Froyo and install the pr-rooted GB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones