when will the samsung intercept get android 2.2?General

Last Updated:

1. dakota.breeden

dakota.breeden New Member

When will the intercept get the android 2.2 froyo update

Advertisement
  2. tgu23monk

tgu23monk New Member

http://www.phonenews.com/sprint-con...r-samsung-intercept-android-2.2-update-12227/

Sprint today confirmed to PhoneNews.com that the Samsung Intercept will be upgraded to Android 2.2, Froyo.
    The Intercept launched with Android 2.1 shortly after the official release of Android 2.2. As an entry-level Android offering, the phone is meant to compete with budget solutions such as iPhone 3GS.
    The Android 2.2 update brings the Intercept a badly-needed feature in comparison to the aging HTC Hero and Samsung Moment, which are both sold at similar price-points with contract. Sprint has already stated that both Hero and Moment will not be updated past Android 2.1.
    As we previously reported, the Intercept may be a better choice for new buyers, compared to the Moment. Despite having a slower CPU and poorer quality screen, Samsung’s refusal to update the Moment leaves it in a state of planned obsolescence.
  3. Muckrak3r

Muckrak3r Member

I heard something about the processor in the Intercept kept it from getting a full 2.2 update? It might be bad information, but I thought it was because the processor was a pre-core or pre-cortex processor or something like that, it wouldn't handle Flash or some such. I may just be rambling jibberish but it does make sense. Seems the processor in the Intercept is a bit sluggish.
  4. JD_from_da_80s

JD_from_da_80s Well-Known Member

I hope this isn't true. The reason I got my wife this phone is because Sprint said all android phones released in 2010 will get the 2.2 update.

Google should just require anybody making an android based phone going forward have "system requirements" like a 1 GHz processor, which is current fastest one available(?) I know they will continue to update the OS but I don't think it will be as frequent as it's been over the last 2 years. After Gingerbread, they may have major updates once a year like Apple. All this BS about phones not getting OS updates because of hardware issues is crazy.