When Will Themes Make a Difference?

Last Updated:

1. Cranberry Atom

Cranberry Atom New Member This Topic's Starter

I've had this question on my mind for a long time, and I figured I'd finally post it on here in hopes of getting a few constructive answers from the people who are taking the first cracks at altering Android's GUI.

First, I applaud all efforts to skin Android. From what I've read, it's been an uphill battle done mostly by groping around in the dark. I think it sucks that Google isn't being more forthcoming in working with developers on this front.

My question is: When do you think coders will start developing skins on the level of, say, HTC's TouchFLO 3D?

Is it possible for a single coder? And if it isn't, what are your plans to team up with other developers (and for Google's sake, a couple of graphic design majors) to create something truly innovative, cohesive, and unique?

If the mood of my question seems a little pressing, it's because it is. But like an impatient child screaming for dinner, I really just don't know how long it takes to do something like this. That's kinda what I'd like to know with your comments.

Advertisement
  2. punyweakling

punyweakling Well-Known Member

Hey team, first post here - I've been posting over at XDA.

There's a lot of themes out there and some of the home apps have been great for theming too.

Thought I might point you in the direction of Sweeter Home which i started using last week. The dev is really responsive to feedback and it's quite a unique approach to skinning, if a little clunky at the moment.

Anyway to show you what I mean, here's a finished skin, Dark Rising, I made... as well as a Matrix theme which started out as a joke and now I've learned a bit more about Sweeter has open a few design doors up for me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the Morpheus panels the images move with the icons, ie: on top on the wallpaper - that effect that looks so cool with the icons moving at a different rate looks even better with images doing the same thing.

And the one with the gun man, the apps scroll nice and zippy behind the gun/arms...

Won't be long before themes start getting pretty advanced I reckon. Sweeter Home is just one example of where this could go.

3. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

What is Sweeter's appoach to widgits ?

4. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great info and screens...looking forward to not having to root the phone and being able to use these.

5. punyweakling

I'm note sure exactly how the coding works. All trays "seem" like widgets to me. But I believe they're locked down in the app - you can list all your contacts, or all SMS's received in a list that you're able to srcoll through right on the desktop - that seems like a widget to me, but it might not be implemented that way. Still no google search widget integration and we have requests in for a clock and date widget although I'm guessing they're low-ish priority at the moment while the app is still being developed...

More: Sweeter Home - Roadmap - sweeterhome.com

6. punyweakling

You can use Dark Rising right now bro. Just install Sweeter Home and grab my theme here.

The instructions of how to install are in the readme. ;)

Some wallpapers that might go with the theme.

7. cyber123

cyber123 New Member

8. punyweakling

9. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Interesting Theme ... looks like "sweeter" is very versatile in ways to display your goodies ...

10. Cranberry Atom

Cranberry Atom New Member This Topic's Starter

Those are really something, punyweakling! That's on the road to what I'm talking about I think. Very cool. Thanks to everyone for showin' off their work. Like I said - I'm thoroughly impressed by anyone who chooses to take on the task of coding or recoding.

11. Holycrapp

Holycrapp New Member

Does this work on the HTC Magic?