When will vz port number if I order online?General

Last Updated:

1. avodub

avodub Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Guys,

I've been with att ever since my first cell phone, and I'm looking forward to making the switch to verizon for the incredible. My question is if I order online, when will verizon port my number over? I don't want my family to be stuck without their phones while they are being shipped. Sorry if this is a noob question...

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. AcePuppy

AcePuppy Well-Known Member

It's best to call when porting a number, that way it's a smooth process, sometimes online it can happen right away, sometimes a day, sometimes while its in the shipping process. Calling to do this is a better way of not being in outer space for a day or two. :)

avodub likes this.
  3. avodub

Got it. Thanks. I guess I'll just go to the store and get the incredible. So excited!

4. Blaven

Blaven Active Member

5. BoozeRob

BoozeRob Well-Known Member

I ported online... so far no problems. I was told that it would officially port when I receive and activate my phone(s).

avodub likes this.
  6. storm14k

storm14k Well-Known Member

Before I ordered my Incredible I chatted with a CSR online and asked them specifically what would happen if I ordered the Inc and set up a number to be ported. They said nothing would happen to my number until I received the phone and activated it. I then ordered my phone online and have the info to port the number from T-mo. My T-mo line has been fine so far.

avodub likes this.
  7. rockstar323

rockstar323 Well-Known Member

If you're worried you can always preorder with a new line. When it comes in all you have to do is call Verizon and have them port your number from your old carrier over the number that the phone came with.

avodub likes this.
  8. felkdogg

felkdogg Member

I pre-ordered and ported over from ATT. And you will have some weird things happen once your phone goes into the processing stage and you receive an e-mail stating that number portability has shipped. The only weird thing that happened to me is that I was no longer able to receive text messages from Verizon phones. I was able to receive them from ATT and Tmobile and I was able to send them to everybody and I also had no issues making phone calls on my old phone and no ATT data interruption even after Fedex delivered my incredible. Then I called up the activation number in the portability e-mail from a landline phone and it took about 5 minutes to get the phone activated. The second my incredible was activated, all the Verizon texts that I had been missing showed up on the new phone. So far I have been able to make calls to all carriers with my number successfully ported and have only texted a verizon user but there doesn't seem to be anything weird.

Overall I wouldn't be worried about doing it online if you can get a better deal that way as the whole porting process tends to be a bit inconsistent no matter how you do it. So just let the people who you really would need to contact know that they should pick up the phone to reach you for a few days and all should be well.

avodub likes this.
  9. dc006

dc006 Active Member

Yeah, i'm the guy that got his number ported while my phone was shipping. It sucks not having a phone. However, a friend has let me use his to call some clients and I found that I have convinced some clients email is better now. So, perhaps a blessing in disguise.

However, I am still going to try to get a bit of a discount on service though for them messing it up.

Anyways, I get my Droid tomorrow at 11 AM hopefully. I'm headed down to the FedEx place in the morning to get it right off the truck.

Cheers!

avodub likes this.
  10. Blaven

Blaven Active Member

Glad to hear you managed to get a hold of a phone temporarily. I could only imagine if I had a business and that happened to me, I know how lost I am without my phone now :)

11. letters

letters Well-Known Member

This.

12. avodub

I guess the safest best is just to order with a new line. Thanks guys

And dc006 I hope you get something in return for your troubles, not having a phone even for one day is a pain, especially for business.