When will we see the custom roms?

Last Updated:

1. th3j3ster

th3j3ster Active Member This Topic's Starter

To be honest I'm really, really impatient. I'm already obsessing over when we'll see the first custom roms for the Epic. I know we're also waiting on a custom recovery. Being as there are about a billion android websites and people are all over the place...has anyone heard any news as to when we can hope/expect a custom recovery or custom rom for the Epic?

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I expect that once the custom recovery pops up and is 100% operational that they'll show up soon after.

3. th3j3ster

was guessing the same...but I haven't seen anything about custom recoveries being worked on. I may just be sniffing in the wrong places.

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Last I saw, a few days ago, nandroid was the only item not working yet IIRC.

5. vazquezcmp

vazquezcmp Member

6. Bitbang3r

Bitbang3r Well-Known Member

In theory, shouldn't CM6 work on the Epic4G with minimal tweaking considering its advanced state on the Vibrant? (& Captivate?) Or is this round II of "CDMA and GSM phones with basically nothing in common besides the factory they came from"? I was under the impression that as long as you temporarily wrote off use of the 4G radio and could live with dysfunctional voicemail, text messaging, and tower-based location service (all of which would obviously break if you tried using them with apps meant for AT&T or T-Mobile), you could almost take the Vibrant's CM6 buildfile, tweak it a bit, and end up with a distro that would suck miserably and be dysfunctional on day zero (before you started porting the Sprint-specific stuff), but would basically boot into Android and be more or less capable of limping along as a phone (or would at least boot into Android, then crash and reboot the moment anything tried to touch the network).

I expect the Epic 4G to thrive nicely. Right now, the tools needed to port, customize, and reflash the rom itself are still being developed. If anything, the Epic4G scene is nothing short of miraculous compared to the Hero. From what I remember, the first custom ROM that was even *capable* of booting Android and limping around with little more than the ability to use the display, touchscreen, and wi-fi didn't show up until Thanksgiving, and the first custom ROM that was genuinely usable without sacrificing the camera & bluetooth didn't show up until after Christmas. By comparison, the Epic4G is moving along at light speed.

In the long run, we're lucky -- Samsung built ITS kernel using proper .ko loadable kernel modules, so we (hopefully) won't have to go through the BS that HTC owners do with driver support. It's not *guaranteed* that the .ko modules for the camera, GPS, etc will work on a Gingerbread-capable kernel... but unlike the Hero vis-a-vis 2.6.29, it's not guaranteed that they *won't* work, either.

th3j3ster likes this.
  7. th3j3ster

Thanks for the insight...it really is exciting how quickly things are picking up. One of my largest fears of purchasing a samsung over an HTC phone was that I've heard ol' sammy is very, very slow to release updates. The fact that it's been a few weeks after launch and we haven't heard anything about 2.2 yet is not helping their case either. They really need to be pushing updates as frequently or more frequently than HTC, especially since they are attempting to take a big chunk of the market with the Galaxy S line. People like the products so far for the most part, but if Sammy wants to make it near to the top and stay there, their going to have to up their support game big time.

I don't pretend that I have interest in custom roms or patches because the device I have is lacking (even though it I may feel it is lacking in some areas)...I like to play with this kind of stuff because I have a desire to learn how to BUILD it, and getting new toys or improvements never hurt anything ;)