• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When will you upgrade (from Nexus One)?

Video calling has never been used b/c it has never been released to the masses in a device that millions of people have. It's pretty tough to video call when only one person has a camera.

As for the wallpaper comment, I never made the argument that that was the reason iPhone 4 was better than Android. I was responding to a post that said I was simply stating that the new OS WON'T have a black background as it's fully customizable just like Android.

The folder function is better b/c of the UI. The icon shows up to 9 apps on the folder icon and when you open it, it doesnt cover the whole screen until you close it. It simply shows the apps in the folder above the icon.

hate to break it to you, but video calling has been in the rest of the world for about 4 years now. europe has video calling on about every phone sold. my n95, n96, n97 and n97 mini ALL came with a front facing camera because they supported video calling. when i call a contact, a window pops up that says "make a video or regular call?"

the USA is just behind by a few years.

Upvote 0
Im honestly ready for something new now. I love the phone but I hate the phone. I love the OS, the touch screen and the speed of everything. I hate that my blackberry bold had reception and battery life that can piss on the N1. I put my SIM in my Bold the other day for 5 mins just to see why I wasnt using it anymore and the BB felt so antiquated after using the N1 for the past few months.

However, there is no substitute for the BB call quality and ability to get reception. I never dropped one call with any BB. I drop calls on a weekly basis with the N1. Its embarrassing to say the least. I cant afford to lose calls or have crappy battery life with the only phone I have.

So yeah, if the OS 6 is nice on the Bold slider then I will easily go back. Or if Win7 achieves its potential, Im there. Hell, I really wish Nokia would wake up and produce something of quality like they used to.

Upvote 0
I have no idea about Europe nor do I care. I know the reason video calling hasn't taken off in the US is b/c 3G networks are relatively new and no US mobile phone has it!! Once the network is able to handle it and the phones have it, there is no question video calling will be a major feature.

It will be advertised as a feature, but I don't know if it will actually be used as a major feature. I know you don't care about Europe ;) but as far as I can tell from many people having video-call capable phones here, it doesn't get used that much.

Upvote 0
I've had a few video call capable phones and am on the 3 network, which even gave me extra free minutes to specifically make video calls. Never made one, never knew anyone who made one and have never heard anyone even mention them. It's a feature looking for a market and hasn't found it in the many years it's been available in the UK.

Upvote 0
As I can tell from many people having video-call capable phones here, it doesn't get used that much.

Yeah I can't see it being used more than a novelty sort of thing when someone is away from home for awhile and it's nice to see the face's of your loved ones (say your deployed in a foreign country or are on business trips all the time and your wife brings on the baby so you can see)

Nice lil' trick to have but in the end... just a trick :)

No way I would lock myself into a 2 yr contract just for a novelty feature like that...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones