When would you consider rooting to get Froyo?General

After which date would your consider rooting your phone to get Froyo?

1. I have already rooted and am enjoying my Froyo goodness.

95 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. August 30, 2010

40 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. September 15, 2010

26 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. September 30, 2010

24 vote(s)
    9.8%
  5. October 15, 2010

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. October 31, 2010

6 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. November 15, 2010

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  8. November 30, 2010

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  9. December 15, 2010

5 vote(s)
    2.0%
  10. December 31, 2010

14 vote(s)
    5.7%
  11. First Half of 2011

27 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. binks2001

binks2001 Member

Hello Everyone,

I have read a large number of posts these past few days regarding the Froyo update. With the ups and downs of when it will be released, I have decided to open a new poll.

At what date would you plan on saying "Enough of waiting on Verizon, I am rooting my phone to get some Froyo goodness!"

Please keep the comments civil, I am just interested in the mood of the user base after another "unofficial" date has passed us by.

Thanks
    Binks2001

Advertisement
  2. SoupAssassin

SoupAssassin Active Member

My phone comes tomorrow. It's my first Android, so I'll spend a couple of days getting accustomed. No 2.2 by this weekend though, and I'm rooting.
  3. -Timber

-Timber Active Member

I'd love to try rooting my phone, but I have the extended warranty and I don't want to risk losing that in case I drop my phone someday. :(
  4. killadanny

killadanny Well-Known Member

Its reversible ya know :)
  5. manguard

manguard Member

I honestly was perfectly happy with 2.1. I bought the Incredible because it worked the way I wanted it to when I bought it, not because I expected it to do X at Y date in the future. That said I like to mess around with my gadgets. My iPod touch is JB. My NDS is flashme'd (old school) even my old Moto V360 was modded up the wazoo.

I did root and I did flash radio and I did install 2.5.2 SkyRaider and it's made my phone that much more enjoyable. :)
  6. Medion

Medion Well-Known Member

Never. As of right now, there is nothing I really care about in FROYO to make me root. However, I will definitely root to get the latest OS after HTC abandons support for my phone. I anticipate them not porting Gingerbread to it, but I could be wrong (and have been before).
  7. callmeox

callmeox Well-Known Member

Add me in as a never.

I'm one of the few geeks at work with an Android phone that isn't rooted. Most of the Winders guys have rooted, but I'm the one with the Linux certification and I'm happy to let sleeping dogs lie.

To me, the phone is an appliance. If I want to tinker then I'll find something else to work on.

Yeah, I'm odd. :p
  8. BrainZblown

BrainZblown Well-Known Member

I give it till this Sunday @ 12pm. Then I root
  9. omgitswes

omgitswes Well-Known Member

I downgraded my phone like a month ago expecting an OTA to come out soon. I don't even feel like rooting again, so I'm just going to keep waiting it out.
    It'll happen when it happens, at this point I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Incredible doesn't get Froyo.
  10. mrjinglesusa

mrjinglesusa Well-Known Member

Just finished rooting, S-OFF, updated radio, installed FrankenROM b5.

Everything works perfectly. Couldn't be happier. :D

I'm done waiting for VZ to get their sh*t together....
  11. BuickGS67

BuickGS67 Well-Known Member

I bought my phone for the great features, functionality and speed that it came with stock. I like it as-is, and will wait patiently until an official update is released.

Now, if they decide not to update it at all, then I'd probably try to root it after the warranty expires to get the increased functionality Froyo is supposed to bring (I'm specifically intetested in the enhanced bouetooth voice dial capability in Froyo).
  12. miniSQ

miniSQ Well-Known Member

I Have a friend with an EVO4 and he used unrevoked to get tethering on his phone...he then did the froyo thing and hated it.

1. pandora SQ went to crap...
    2. battery life was terrible
    3. phone became slower in some applications

reverted back to 2.1

YMMV
  13. dymmeh

dymmeh Well-Known Member

1. was fixed in a patch.
    2/3. both not true for me. although i have heard a few people complaining about battery life.

phone flies for me and the battery lasts longer. your friend should try again using one of the newer ROMs and apply the patches to fix the audio issues.
    necosino likes this.
  14. MathewS81

MathewS81 Well-Known Member

Just rooted my phone. Will be getting some Froyo!
  15. picord

picord Well-Known Member

Just took the plunge and I'm rooted now also, tired of rumors and waiting around for an update
  16. killadanny

Congrats to the new rooted users, if you can root and gain features, and go back to normal what is there to lose?? :)
  17. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

All my settings for one. There is chance of bricking your phone. Granted, it's not a big chance, and is probably reversible but still.

If if breaks down while rooted/flashed you might not get warranty service on it.

EDIT: ok, I'd encourage anyone who wants to root to go for it. It's actually pretty safe, and if you get in trouble, or have questions, there's a great community to help with that. But there are trade offs and risks, and it's not for everyone. Personally I'm not planning on rooting, I don't need froyo enough to make the hassle worth it.
  18. killadanny

Yeah I guess your right, I was a first time root and had no issues, always proceed with caution!
  19. friend088

friend088 Well-Known Member

The chance of bricking my phone is not worth it IMO. I love my DINC as it is. Patience I must have for FROYO.
  20. killadanny

Most of the time after reading some peoples issues they usually got impatient and pulled the battery or something when they shouldnt have, follow the directions exactly. :)

for those who want too, of course.
  21. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish! VIP Member

I would like to know the exact risks/rewards.

I am anxious for Froyo because i have a few bugs with my phone, that im hoping are fixed in this update. Thats the only reason.

Random reboots, crazy scroll screen, bump charge issue, and signal strength.

Hopefully some of those are fixed in Froyo

But yea, i would like to know what im getting into if i root. What are the risks?
  22. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I've been rooted since we had to stand on one leg, pushing the SD card in and out while saying 5 Hail Marys. There's very little risk in bricking your phone from rooting. Flashing radios is where some risk lies and nobody says you have to do that.

I'm not trying to talk anybody into anything tho. If you are one that absolutely thinks you shouldn't do it then you are right, skip it. It does take a little willingness to learn a few things about the process, what it involves and what possibilities it entails. It's best to want it and not just do it because you can.
    killadanny likes this.
  23. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the specifics of the root/flashing techniques for the DrInc. I could talk about them Generally/technically, but probably more helpful from somebody who knows what they're talking about. Anybody else with root experience (and technical knowledge, hopefully) be able to discuss the bricking risks in specifics?

As far as looking at the general risk/reward question. Largely depends on which rom you want to use. Take a look at what are available, they should clearly state the features, as well as any known issues. I'll just say that none of the current roms would be liable to pass verizon's QA process (this WOULDN'T keep me from flashing).
  24. cdk118

cdk118 Active Member

I would probably look into rooting and getting froyo around the end of September if the OTA doesn't come. But right now I'm ok with waiting. Love the phone. Plus I have a new every two discount I could always use on a future powerhouse device and just pass this one along to my wife if I ever feel the need to. But this device is definitely great and I love it.
  25. brianhenny

brianhenny Well-Known Member

I want to try and root, but don't really know anything about it. If I go through with it, i'd follow the directions and still probably brick my phone *knock on wood* haha. How long does it take?