When you order this phone through a Verizon employee in the store...General

Last Updated:

1. chimpy

chimpy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

they charge your credit card after the phone arrives at the store and you pick it up, right?

Advertisement
  2. RandomEsq

RandomEsq Member

Hi, Chimpy,

No, my card was charged in the store already. Charge appears immediately on your credit card even though the phone will not ship for a while.

-R.

3. chimpy

Well, that's ****ing stupid.

Why would they charge your card and then not be able to tell you the date the phone will arrive in your hands? What a corrupt business practice...

4. RandomEsq

RandomEsq Member

Well, it's neither corrupt nor stupid, really.

It's the terms and conditions of a contract you can choose to enter or not enter. Paying now means you will be getting a phone by a certain date. Not paying for it now means you may have to wait. It's up to you and they are not remotely deceptive about it.

They don't charge you and *then* tell you they aren't able to say the exact date of arrival. They tell you FIRST that they don't know for SURE when it will arrive and then YOU decide if you want to yank out your credit card, knowing it will be charged at that moment.

-R.

5. tluv00

tluv00 Well-Known Member

They charge you up front so you don't say you want one then back out after the store pays for the device to be shipped to their location. The device is on back order so the last thing they need are people ordering the device to go to one part of the country, changing their mind then having to ship it somewhere else. If you definitely want the phone then who cares?

6. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Well-Known Member

Pretty sure this is against the rules of the payment card industry. It could just be a payment authorization though and not an actual payment.

7. chimpy

Because it's very simple: if I want to get something I should know when it will arrive.

I'm not going to drop $300+ for something and be told "well, we don't know when it will be show up". That's ******ed. I have the right to know.

The only reason Verizon is doing this is to screw you over and take your money first.

And they're too big of a company to get stiffed by people backing out of orders.

8. RandomEsq

RandomEsq Member

FlyPenFly - When you say the "rules of the payment card industry" - which UCC clause, in particular, are you referring to? Or are you referring to something else?

It was not a payment but a charge and it was, in fact, charged to my card already. The contractual arrangement on payment is now between me and my credit card company unless I dispute the charge.

Chimpy - If you want to get something and feel you should know when it will arrive, then I would not suggest this transaction to you as it appears to violate a necessary requirement in your contractual arrangements. I responded to your original inquiry so that you would not enter into the transaction blind. I hope the information was helpful.

-R.

9. chimpy

Thanks for your response, it was helpful.

I'm a bit irked that Verizon would do that though...

10. Squintz82

Squintz82 Well-Known Member

Not trying to start an argument, but seriously. :rolleyes:

I love when people make things up. If you're "Pretty sure this is against the rules of the payment card industry", where did you read these so-called "payment card industry" rules? There is absolutely nothing wrong with a company charging you for the right to receive a product, especially when they tell you up front BEFORE you pay, that they don't have a shipping date.

You were told prior to paying that they have no idea when it would ship, yet you still payed. Of course a company wants to take your money, I can't believe this is news to you. Ever reserve a video game? It's essentially an interest free loan you're giving the company, yet it's practiced everywhere. I don't even know how to address your last sentence.

I swear people need something to complain about.

11. chimpy

There's a BIG difference between a $5-10 deposit to reserve a game and dropping $300+ on a phone.

Also, with the game, you know when it's coming out too. The phone you don't.

I swear you're an idiot.

12. Squintz82

Squintz82 Well-Known Member

So in your logic, there's a price point where this is acceptable? What exactly is this price point? Again, they told you the terms prior to payment, and you still payed, just like reserving a video game.

Yet, I'm the idiot. :)

13. kjarrett

kjarrett Well-Known Member

I ordered mine in the store and they put the charge on my bill. Phone is being shipped to my house ... eventually. :)

14. vmod32

vmod32 Member

Jeez, I just had them bill it to my account... Much easier that way, I guess that does not work for new customers..

15. tluv00

tluv00 Well-Known Member

You chose to pay. Why not just wait until they are in stock to get it? You would be getting the phone on the same day regardless. You had the choice to say yes or no to buying the phone yet you did. They aren't screwing anyone because they GAVE YOU THE CHOICE!

16. Bobby9

Bobby9 Well-Known Member

I haven't checked the charge but I'm pretty sure it was put on the bill.

And they did let you know when you're going to get it. It will ship by May 29, June 1, June 4, June 7, June 8 depending on when you ordered. If may arrive sooner but it will ship by those dates.

17. midnightcobra1009

midnightcobra1009 Member

Retail calls Chimpy - the dumbfounded consumer who wants to camplain about a service/ product that is under a binding contract in which you are enshured the device and the service... please note that the return period will begin when you pick up the phone, it would be a different situation if it started at the payment date!

18. Dman089

Dman089 Well-Known Member

I could definitely use a google voice invite.

19. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

Part of the Visa. MC, and AMEX require the goods or service to be in the buyer's hands within 30-60 days after the purchase. It is in the contract of the Merchant agreement to use the credit service. All merchant services are a little different and it can range but it will be in that range or the merchant can lose a chargeback complaint.

20. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

You guys are forgetting one thing which makes this totally different than reserving a game or something....the contract. You are contractually bound to the company, which asks the question "is there anything in their terms that specify the payment procedures of a pre-order". I dont have one of the vzw contracts in front of me but maybe someone else has an idea. Either way, as others have said, it costs VZW a lot of money to request the hardware, have it shipped to one store, then lose the sale because someone changed their mind, and then ship the product to another store.

21. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

They charged you already? That's messed up.

But if you have a reputable debit card/credit card bank, if worse comes to worse you call it in fraudulent and it's removed pretty easily.

But I'd be pissed if they charged me without getting the phone..

Even BB only takes a $50 deposit which goes to a gift card that you can use even if you don't get the phone.

22. chimpy

No...I haven't even bought the phone yet...I'm just trying to find out how they run things.

23. Zabii

Zabii Well-Known Member

They run things like a business. Every post I have seen from you as long as you have been posting on these forums has been you complaining about one thing or another. Are you looking for excuses to hate or bitch about things?

24. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure they wouldnt have to ship an Incredible to another store. Seeing as how all of the local stores around here are sold out of them, it would go quickly unless the store is in Timbuktu (note just for the Incredible. Other phones might not go so fast). I am waiting until they come in locally even if I have to wait a while. I dont want to pay for something I wont receive for a while.

25. kevin49er

kevin49er Member

I'm going to have to charge your card for that...