• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whenever I get frustrated with Android...

Wilkas

Android Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2012
Jarrow, Great Britain
I remind myself it could be worse, I could have a Windows Phone 7.5 like my wife has, a phone that is so bad it is more defined by what it can't do over what it can.

Bluetooth just doesn't work on it, you can only pair with headsets.. no sending pictures or music, just wont let you pair with any phone, even other Lumias.

No MMS, can't manually edit the APN easily... do a bit of digging and you can get an app but the info is completely different to what is wrote down from your operator.... they also can't send you the settings as Microsoft doesn't allow it.

Can't download songs, pictures or anything.. You have to stream from sky drive, you cant physically download your files.

Don't get me started on the app store, not a patch on android and I understand it's relatively new but still overpriced for what you can get.

No Windows 8 update, instead she's getting a theme update and apps they've made a big deal about but you would expect to get anyway.

All in all I would really think again if you ever think of leaving android for windows, it's style over substance and will have you tearing your hair out :D

Honestly Kruncha, I think some phones are like taking a step backward from stuff we've been using for 10 years. The phone itself is lovely but surely has to be the worst OS ever on a phone.

I think the reason I love Android is you aren't stopped from doing anything, everything just does what it's supposed to do and to me that is a big deal lol

Never had an iPhone but I bet thats all restricted too, unless something new and special comes along then I'll be sticking with Android!

Upvote 0
Comparing Windows Phone 7.5 and Android is a bit unfair since Windows 7.5 is just what, starting?

Windows 8 moves for the better in the case where the underlying kernels for WP8, and Win8 are the same, unlike in WP7 and 7.5 where it uses its own kernels. Technically if the hardware is capable, you can port ANY PC program onto the phone.

Android so far is doing good, and I can see no reason to leave it in the near future.

Upvote 0
There's a lot of difference, and it doesn't matter whether you are new or not. Yes they will maintain a lot of control in the OS, and there are a lot of stuff still waiting to be changed or edited and stuff, but that's what they want with the OS. Besides, Windows 8 is the third iteration of the Windows Phone program. You certainly weren't able to do all the things on Android 4.0 and iOS 5 back when it was still Android 1.6 or iOS 2.

Upvote 0
On android 1.6 i could bluetooth a song, i could get my providers mms settings sent to my phone, I could use my phone to download things.

That might be what Microsoft wants from their OS but it's not what the consumer wants, trying to get things to work I've read through hundreds of complaints about even the most simple things, things that symbian was doing years ago.

Upvote 0
On an iPhone you can't bluetooth a song as well, yet it sells like hotcakes. Your argument is invalid, if its based on bluetooth transferring of songs as well, considering that from what I know the majority of iPhone users don't jailbreak their devices.

Besides, Skydrive is essentially a part of the OS anyway. Skydrive is just like dropbox, and its great in a way that no matter how much you download, it won't eat up space on your phone. Its probably not so great for people with limited internet bandwidth I think though. I have true unlimited.

Upvote 0
My whole argument is invalid because you've picked out one bit of it that is the same as an iphone :D

Have you used a windows phone? It's terrible, I haven't used an iPhone before but all my friends that have them get them jailbroke, I haven't used one so I can't comment on it however I have used a Windows phone and whether the whole lot is the same as an iphone means nothing to me or how much it sells, it's garbage.

Phone sold, galaxy S3 ordered.

Upvote 0
I'm not convincing you to use one, and yes I've tried a windows phone. Honestly I like it. It's more stable than Android and the UI on the Lumia 800 is smooth as Androids with higher specs. The only thing that held me back was it was that or a tablet (which I needed at the time) and lack of certain apps (which developers have promised to address). Granted I probably haven't had time to dig in enough, but I'm reserving my judgement since windows phone 8 uses a quote new kernel extending additional capabilities.

And I wasn't saying your whole argument is invalid. I'm saying your argument about not being to bluetooth a song is invalid. Hell just email it or share it to another person's dropbox.

Upvote 0
I think until you've owned one and had to deal with the plethora of issues then you can't really comment, the bluetooth issue is just one of many small limitations that go towards spoiling the experience of using the phone.

One thing you are right on though is I am comparing it to android because that is what I am used too but my wife has only ever had blackberry smart phones and she is amazed at how little she can do, simple things like sending a picture of our newborn to her Mam via MMS becomes difficult, T-Mobile couldn't send the settings because Microsoft don't allow it, they also make it difficult to edit the APN so I had to download software to do it with T-mobile guiding me over the phone... it still didn't work. Again this is a small issue but one of many and these are things which should change in Windows 8 but as they aren't updating any existing phones then most people will never find out.

Managed to get half the value back for the phone and ordered her the S3, that way she knows she can do all the things that I can do with my phone.

Upvote 0
Thing is, with the couple of days I had with one, it seems to be capable enough of doing all that I need of it except for a lack of apps which I'd understand given the amount of time its been on the market compared to the others. The OS itself is promising IMO.

However as of the moment, Android is king of the hill and will be for the foreseeable future.

Upvote 0
I remind myself it could be worse, I could have a Windows Phone 7.5 like my wife has, a phone that is so bad it is more defined by what it can't do over what it can.

Bluetooth just doesn't work on it, you can only pair with headsets.. no sending pictures or music, just wont let you pair with any phone, even other Lumias.

No MMS, can't manually edit the APN easily... do a bit of digging and you can get an app but the info is completely different to what is wrote down from your operator.... they also can't send you the settings as Microsoft doesn't allow it.

Can't download songs, pictures or anything.. You have to stream from sky drive, you cant physically download your files.

Don't get me started on the app store, not a patch on android and I understand it's relatively new but still overpriced for what you can get.

No Windows 8 update, instead she's getting a theme update and apps they've made a big deal about but you would expect to get anyway.

All in all I would really think again if you ever think of leaving android for windows, it's style over substance and will have you tearing your hair out :D

Sorry to disagree with you, but I do. I just switched (last week) from the DX to the HTC Trophy. For 99% of the stuff I use my phone for which is phone, email, web, games, music, the Trophy user experience trounces all over my DX. The Trophy is as old as the DX is to boot. My DX was rooted with Liberty V3 and while fast, it was never as smooth and fluid as the Trophy is. Sure, there are some things I'll miss namely free wifi-tether, but I find the overall experience and usability to be better on the Trophy than on the DX. Sure the DX (and Trophy for that matter) is an outdated device by today's standards, but the fact of the matter is that my Trophy has pretty much the same specs as my DX does and is twice as fluid and fast as my DX ever was. All this with no force closes, random reboots, and all the other issues the DX brought along with it.

No, I don't have a desktop replacement in my pocket anymore. But what I do have, is a device that is far more fun to use than an iPhone, and a heck of alot less frustrating (at times) than my DX was.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Android (hence why I'm here) but for the time being, I'm perfectly fine using my Trophy until I see something worth upgrading to.

I know this is probably not a popular opinion especially on an Android site, but in the end, choice is good for everyone.

Upvote 0
Sorry to disagree with you, but I do. I just switched (last week) from the DX to the HTC Trophy. For 99% of the stuff I use my phone for which is phone, email, web, games, music, the Trophy user experience trounces all over my DX. The Trophy is as old as the DX is to boot. My DX was rooted with Liberty V3 and while fast, it was never as smooth and fluid as the Trophy is. Sure, there are some things I'll miss namely free wifi-tether, but I find the overall experience and usability to be better on the Trophy than on the DX. Sure the DX (and Trophy for that matter) is an outdated device by today's standards, but the fact of the matter is that my Trophy has pretty much the same specs as my DX does and is twice as fluid and fast as my DX ever was. All this with no force closes, random reboots, and all the other issues the DX brought along with it.

No, I don't have a desktop replacement in my pocket anymore. But what I do have, is a device that is far more fun to use than an iPhone, and a heck of alot less frustrating (at times) than my DX was.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Android (hence why I'm here) but for the time being, I'm perfectly fine using my Trophy until I see something worth upgrading to.

I know this is probably not a popular opinion especially on an Android site, but in the end, choice is good for everyone.

It's your opinion though Derek and as you own one then it is valid, for what you use your phone for then I'm sure it is great. One thing I liked about it was the smoothness of the menu system and I love the way the apps looked (FB, Twitter etc..) but for what we use our phones for it was a big let down.. doesn't mean there isn't anything there to improve on but I really hope Windows 8 sorts those niggles out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones