• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

where are the advertisements??

"media blitz"

eyebrows_grin.gif

Upvote 0
This weekend I spoke to some family and friends. The general consensus was that those on VZW knew about VZW MotoDroid and Incredible phones and upcoming iPhone. Those on ATT knew about upcoming iPhone but pretty much ignored Android on ATT. Almost no one knew about the Evo - even the Sprint subscribers.

I just hope Sprint doesn't come out thinking Evo will sell itself.

Exactly. Waiting for it to compare (even favorably!) to the new iPhone will be a mistake. People need to know it's the best first.. then make iPhone look like a second-rate johnny-come-lately.

Upvote 0
word of mouth is great because each mouth is essentially a salesperson you do not have to pay. however, you're missing one key element, the more mouths the better. so, yes word of mouth is a strong Marketing element, but if you only have a limited number of mouths you will not reach maximum potential. therefore, commercials and other ads are still needed.

my opinion is this is just the quiet before the storm. I think Sprint will start really pushing the Evo after the preorders and possibly the first wave of sales, which will give them more concrete projections.

That is basiclly what I said above, when launch day comes you will see there was no reason to advertise before the fact, it will of outsold every other pre order launch or launch party up till this point.
Maybe not the iphone cause I don't know what it sold.

Upvote 0
On a completely unrelated note, if I read "media blitz" on this site one more time I'm going to drive a highlighter through my eyeballs. That crappy phrase needed to get retired April 16th, IMO.

Everyone followed him around like sheep. I have to rub it in, just to make sure the next "insider" does not get treated like god. To the point of punishing people that know better. WE all most learn our lesson from that.

oh one last thing

media blitz.

Upvote 0
That is basiclly what I said above, when launch day comes you will see there was no reason to advertise before the fact, it will of outsold every other pre order launch or launch party up till this point.
Maybe not the iphone cause I don't know what it sold.

The Evo will sell just fine on the 4th. But I just wish the general public was salivating over it as much as we have been. I've "sold" a few friends on it as well. But how many impressions would a TV ad during a high profile event get? Even something cryptic that drove people to sprint.com, where they could get more info... but I think it should have started before the more info was even widely public knowledge. There's no reason that has to wait until post-release.

It could have been like movies... a "teaser" a year in advance (I know that's too long of a time frame here, but you know what I mean). Then trailers a few months out. Then commercials with more scenes a month or so out. Then the week or two before, you can't NOT see mentions of it, and ads now have reviews (testimonials here) so that, by the time opening day comes, it's not just Hollywood insiders who want to see it.

Upvote 0
The Evo will sell just fine on the 4th. But I just wish the general public was salivating over it as much as we have been. I've "sold" a few friends on it as well. But how many impressions would a TV ad during a high profile event get? Even something cryptic that drove people to sprint.com, where they could get more info... but I think it should have started before the more info was even widely public knowledge. There's no reason that has to wait until post-release.

It could have been like movies... a "teaser" a year in advance (I know that's too long of a time frame here, but you know what I mean). Then trailers a few months out. Then commercials with more scenes a month or so out. Then the week or two before, you can't NOT see mentions of it, and ads now have reviews (testimonials here) so that, by the time opening day comes, it's not just Hollywood insiders who want to see it.

I see what your saying, but I would rather them wait then find out they have a incredible shortage of phone and parts(pun intended):D

See my new thread about how many have been sold.

Upvote 0
I see what your saying, but I would rather them wait then find out they have a incredible shortage of phone and parts(pun intended):D

See my new thread about how many have been sold.

Not a bad point.. they don't want to start off with bad PR and disappointed customers, for sure. On the other hand, media footage of long lines of people standing outside Sprint stores and BB and RS "selling out" or capping pre-orders because there are only so many to go around seems like good publicity. I wouldn't have waited any longer, though, for them to have more units in the warehouses.. I wanted this released yesterday! (And yesterday, I wanted it the day before :))

Upvote 0
Not a bad point.. they don't want to start off with bad PR and disappointed customers, for sure.

They already have. This is a complete mess. By the time phone will be avaible, it would be soo old, that nobody will want it. Think of it this way. It is about a 3 month chrun on phones, from greatest to greatest. The htc evo has been "out" of 3 months. It has already had public attention longer then it normal life. When it gets released, the normal person would think that it is an old phone and dated. That right there is a mess.

Then you toss in a 10 dollar fee and really confusing pricing schemes. And with more "surprises" to come. The honeymoon for this phone is going to end before it even hits the market. When the wimax speeds do not hit the mark, manufacture defects start turning up, and software glitches happen, the pr will turn on this phone. Unfortunately, time is up, and next friday,
you will start to see the media sources turn on the phone.

After apple gets ahold of it around labor day, the htc evo will have turned into a nightmare for sprint. This is why most good companies announce, release, and launch in 3 weeks or less. This has nothing to do with how good or bad the evo is, but how the media works. It happens to the even apple.

The evo is not even been released, and I have friends asking me why I am commenting on "old" technology. When I explain that it is not released or lauched yet. They just say "oh well you know if they take this long, something is really wrong." And that is from a bunch of tech heads. Imagine what the normal people will be saying.

Upvote 0
The evo is not even been released, and I have friends asking me why I am commenting on "old" technology. When I explain that it is not released or lauched yet. They just say "oh well you know if they take this long, something is really wrong." And that is from a bunch of tech heads. Imagine what the normal people will be saying.

I am sorry but this comment makes no since, could you please explain it to me. On second thought your whole post made no since to me.
By the way not trying to start a fight, just kinda curious.

Upvote 0
They already have. This is a complete mess. By the time phone will be avaible, it would be soo old, that nobody will want it. Think of it this way. It is about a 3 month chrun on phones, from greatest to greatest. The htc evo has been "out" of 3 months. It has already had public attention longer then it normal life. When it gets released, the normal person would think that it is an old phone and dated. That right there is a mess.

Then you toss in a 10 dollar fee and really confusing pricing schemes. And with more "surprises" to come. The honeymoon for this phone is going to end before it even hits the market. When the wimax speeds do not hit the mark, manufacture defects start turning up, and software glitches happen, the pr will turn on this phone. Unfortunately, time is up, and next friday,
you will start to see the media sources turn on the phone.

After apple gets ahold of it around labor day, the htc evo will have turned into a nightmare for sprint. This is why most good companies announce, release, and launch in 3 weeks or less. This has nothing to do with how good or bad the evo is, but how the media works. It happens to the even apple.

LOL WUT??? First 4G phone in the country? HDMI output? 8MP camera? 720p video? Mobile hotspot? If that's old technology then I'm living in the stone age.

Upvote 0
Consumers have 3 minute memories. Once you announce a new technology, you have about 3 weeks to deliver it. After 3 weeks, you will lose about 50% of the market, just because it will not be in the lime light.

I told my friends that I was getting the evo. 3 months ago. As far as they are considered, it was delivered and to them it is old technology. 3 month old technology. Sorry but that is how it works. You only have 3 weeks of fan in the technology sector, evo has had 3 months. Wait for friday, you will see what I mean. The critics will start to hammer it then.

Upvote 0
Consumers have 3 minute memories. Once you announce a new technology, you have about 3 weeks to deliver it. After 3 weeks, you will lose about 50% of the market, just because it will not be in the lime light.

I told my friends that I was getting the evo. 3 months ago. As far as they are considered, it was delivered and to them it is old technology. 3 month old technology. Sorry but that is how it works. You only have 3 weeks of fan in the technology sector, evo has had 3 months. Wait for friday, you will see what I mean. The critics will start to hammer it then.

To bad we are not even remotely in that demographic as being hardcore techies and phone whore's.

Now that statement would make total since if sprint would of advertised the phone, but how it stands now 95% of the population has never even heard of it.

I also forgot to add that 99.999999999% of everyone on this site is not your average consumer, so again that does not work here.

Upvote 0
Some potential food for thought:

What if Sprint is already sold out, or will be close to it, on launch? Would their inventory numbers affect how and when they market the Evo? Would they advertise the crap out of something that people can't obtain and potentially tick them off?

I read somewhere (possibly Engadget) that Sprint was purposely not going to advertise the phone for a month or two.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones