• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where are the good travel apps?

A.Nonymous

Extreme Android User
Jun 7, 2010
So I just got back from spending 2-3 days with the family for Thanksgiving. I'd never traveled with my phone before so I looked for some decent travel apps to try out. I was underwhelmed by WorldMate and TripIt. Yes, both let me put my hotel and flight information in one place, but that was it. Worldmate popped up messages every day to remind me that I was on vacation. (Gee thanks.) TripIt never popped up anything reminding me that I was supposed to check into XYZ hotel and BTW, here's my reservation number or that I needed to check out by 10 or that my flight's gate had changed or anything. Both apps were pretty useless IMO. I could've accomplished the same thing with a simple text document on my home screen.

I also tried out FlightView Free and absolutely loved it. Now, that is a useful app. It let me know 6 hours ahead of time that my flight was delayed so I didn't go to the airport so early. It told me when my gate changed. It is a freaking sweet app. Can't say enough good things about it. I would highly recommend it to everyone. There are pay versions also, but I can find out the weather at my destination in other apps without having to pay. For a free app, it's amazing. I'm told the info is sometimes 5 mins behind real time, but if you're in the airport, that's not a big deal. It did tell me my flight had landed about 5-10 mins after it did, but I didn't care. I knew I was on the ground. Knowing what gate I needed to head to before I got off the plane was extremely valuable information.

Are there any other travel apps for Android that are actually good though?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones