• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Where can I change "Access Number" in APN?

tonkachan

Lurker
Jan 28, 2011
I use Captivate with Cognition 3.04 so my phone has Android 2.2. I am not sure if this is a right place to ask this question, but I do not know where else I can ask this question. So, any suggestion will be helpful, for me.

I would like to use the phone with a sim card which give me an access to 3G data network in Japan such as EMcharge.

I know that I need to change the setting as below:
++++++
EMOBILE(EM Charge)
Static
APN - rtc.data
Access Number - *99***1#
Username - em
Password - em
++++++

I already have the SIM, which works with USB model, but not with my captivate. I can change everything except "Access Number - *99***1#". Basically, I cannot find a place to change "Access Number" within APN setting.

Could you please tell me where I can set up the "Access Number".
Thank you very much in advance!
Best regards,

Does Japan use 2100 MHz 3G? I know they use that for voice, which is why US and European phones don't work there, but US phones do have 2100 MHz 3G.

mnemonicj: Thank you for your response!

2 of major companies use 2100Mhz. As you said, I think most 3G phone should work in Japan. At least Captivate is working in Japan. So, I can actually use Captivate to make a phone call with their voice-call-sim cards. But, I am not interested in a voice call.

I clarify my situation a bit more.

I merely would like to use my Captivate (Cognition) as a data terminal. Also, if I need to make a phone call, I can always use Skypein and Skypeout. EMcharge gives a cheap solution for 3G (or more) data network, so I would like to use their data-only SIM card.

So, the issue is not hardware limitation. I just cannot find the section in APN setting to change "Access Number" from default number to *99***1# .

It will be great help if anyone know this solution. If necessary, I will write more my situation.
Thank you very much for your support once again!;)
Best regards,

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones