Where did my files disappear?Support

Last Updated:

1. Maggu

Maggu Member This Topic's Starter

I recently changed the storage location on my Incredible's camera from Phone Storage to Storage Card (i.e., my SD card). Yesterday I decided to move the previsouly taken photos "IMAG*.jpg" from the phone storage to the SD card and used the Astro app to perform this move. I made the mistake of using "move" rather than "copy-paste". Something went wrong and somehow none of the "imag*.jpg" that were previously on my phone's internal storage are neither there nor on the SD card.

Where could these files have disappeared to? Is there a "Trash" folder in Android like in Windows where these jpg files could be still hidden? Anyway to recover them? Using the search feature on Astro didn't reveal any of the newly disappeared jpg files.

Here's what I did using the Astro app:
    step 1: navigated to /emmc/DCIM/100MEDIA
    step 2: clicked on multi and selected all the jpg files there (about 15 or so), i.e., all file names turned orange.
    step 3: clicked on Edit, selected Move.
    step 4: navigated to /sdcard/DCIM/100MEDIA which already had a few images that I had taken since changing the default storage location in my camera.
    step 5: clicked on EDIT, selected Paste.
    That's when I got a message saying "unable to move" or some such error - I don't recall the exact words and I had to click ok only for the same error to appear again some 15 more times. I guess it appeared once per image.

I went back to /emmc/DCIM/100MEDIA (the phone storage location) and to /sdcard/DCIM/100MEDIA (SD card location) but the files aren't there in either location.

Please note that I'm a noob to Android having only used Windows Mobile OS phones in the past. I appreciate any help and insight in this matter so that I don't loose files more important than some randomly taken pics. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. jprow507

jprow507 Well-Known Member

I don't have an answer for you but had a similar problem with my girlfriend's phone. She had taken 21 videos which were saved on the Internal Storage by default. She wanted to move them to the SD card and to her PC.

After switching the phone settings to save videos to SD card, I connected the phone to the PC and at first had a hard time with getting both internal storage and SD card to show up as drives, so I disconnected and reconnected. In the process, both showed up as drives, but 18 of the 21 videos disappeared. After searching on the PC and the Phone (using Astro) they were nowhere to be found. Needless to say she blamed me for "losing" the videos.

After doing more research I was unable to find any sort of recycle bin app or location for the phone. However there is a folder on the root called LOST.DIR that may contain your missing files but that is the only location I know of.

3. weave45

weave45 New Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. How can you move pics/vids from phone storage to SD card or phone storage straight to the computer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

4. michaelltaylor

michaelltaylor New Member

I had this problem and figured out it was the antivirus application I had installed. I uninstalled it and the problem disappeared.

5. beenr271

beenr271 Well-Known Member

Have had this issue on my Thunderbolt.. there's about 6 photos that I took that it appears to "randomly" skip them when I view the gallery. Everything taken after that shows up..