Where do apps save?

Last Updated:

1. cunningstunts

cunningstunts Member This Topic's Starter

I have searched and came across some answers that were not Droid specific, and other threads that were created before the release of the Droid. I am in the market for a new phone, and thanks to some great answers to my post in the Android section, I think I will be either getting a Droid, or possibly the Passion if it comes out soon.

Droid Question: Do apps save to internal memory, sd card, or both?

I have seen claims of each.

Some people have said, only 256mb for apps, which scares me since I have 3gb+ of apps on my itouch.

Some have said, dont worry, there is an app that allows you to save on sd card.

Yet others have said most of the data of the apps is stored on the sd card, but only the executable file is stored on the internal 256mb.

Since this has been out for a bit now, I would think it would be an easy question for a heavy Droid user.

Thanks much!

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Most apps use internal memory, but at least one app I ahve has a setting to save to SD (but it does not specify if it means the actuall app itself or if it means the data).

3. Backnblack

Backnblack Well-Known Member

All apps are installed on the internal phone memory....Some can save data to the SD card.

4. cunningstunts

How much of an issue is this? It seems like a potential deal breaker to me. I like to play a game every now and then, and any graphics heavy game might take up much of the space with just one or two apps.

Is it the same for all Android devices? I very well could be wrong, but if they want the Android market to compete with Apple's App store, it seems that limiting app sizes due to storage on devices might be the achilles heel of the system.

5. cunningstunts

I see this may have been burried a little, and I would really like to know from Droid users... Is this a problem? How many apps are you able to store before you are running out of space? Do you find yourself picking and choosing what apps to use to save space?

I'm sorry, but this seems like a big deal to me. But, I see not many others seem concerned about it, so it must not be a real issue?? I gather I am missing something.

Thanks again for the help.

6. Nepherim

Nepherim Well-Known Member

Only the app needs to be in system memory. The developer can choose to store media files on the SD card, so in the case of large games you'd expect to see graphics or sound on SD.

7. cunningstunts

So are you guys (and gals) getting quite a few apps on your Droids then?

Can you give me an idea of what you have on it for apps, and the space you have left?

Thanks much!

8. Breadman50

Breadman50 New Member

I have installed to date 42 apps, and currently still have 198 mb left. Most apps are less than a meg. Largest app file size I currently have installed is documents to go at 7 meg, and Speed Forge 3D, ( awesome hardware accelerated 3D game by the way) at 7 meg. At this point, can't see how I could possibly have a storage issue. By the time I get to that point, hopefully phone is rooted, and will be able to run apps from storage card.

9. cunningstunts

Cool, thanks Breadman, that's exactly the info I was looking for.

Do you notice on those apps, does any of the data save to memory card?

10. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

OMG another ibone comparison!

I have 226 left with a ton of apps installed. It's also been stated that they are working on saving apps to the sd card.

I don't think ANYONE has hit a limitation yet, even us power users!

So how is this a problem today? Or is the OP just reading fanboi posts? Or maybe pc***.com which has an anti-droid article every day?

WSJ is positive, the posted the merits of 250,000 droid units sold the first week!

11. Breadman50

Breadman50 New Member

Currently have 14.2 gig left on storage card, with just a couple of pics, no video or music yet. Phone appears to store some data, along with a couple of the apps if they are net based. Looks like cache files primarily. Voice apps also store data files to card. Some of the card capacity is obviously lost in formatting. Fat32 I believe.

12. cunningstunts

Thanks again Breadman, very helpful

@ Syntrix, I was simply asking a question, to make an informed decision. I don't think I was bashing the Droid in anyway. I heard rumors, and wanted to find the truth. What better way to find out than to ask real users about their experience? As far as comparisons go, yes, I referenced my iPod Touch, but only for the fact it is my only personal experience with "apps", therefore very relevant to the topic. Thank you for the information about the space you have on your Droid with so many apps, it helps me see that it is not a real issue.

13. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

no bashings taken, sorry if it sounded that way!

As android apps require more space, that time is in the future IMHO :)

But it's something the iphone fanboi's love to bash, but they have NO understanding of using a droid.... well maybe 30 seconds in a VZ store which it hardly any time to try a droid :)

14. eclipsed4utoo

eclipsed4utoo Well-Known Member

I have 27 apps installed and 209MB left on internal storage.