Where do i download ROM?

Last Updated:

1. walkinhotdog

walkinhotdog Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone, so apparantly i have a unlocked htc hero from some asian country like malaysia, thailand, or singapore. When i go to the official htc site and use my serial number i cant download the ROM update. It just says something like its not for my device.

Now my questions is if i choose the country as one of those countries i listed above on the htc site, will i be able to download the update with my serial when the 2.1 comes out? Since it wont let me on the US. Those asian countries dont have a ROM update so i cant test it, since they all shipped out with the update already.

Also can my hero use the US version if someone uploads it when the 2.1 comes out? Mine has some alternative chinese keyboard right now, and is missing the qwerty keyboard. Id rather get the US version.

2.73.707.9 146733 cl#62020 release-keys
    This is my build number, if anyone can figure out where its from. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

There are several ways around this, this is what I would do.

From reading your post I would guess you are reasonably computer savvy so you should be able to do this.

The website TheUnlockr.com - Cell Phone How To's, Phone Reviews, and Wireless News! is probably your best resource for information on each of these processes.

1. You need to downgrade your build number.

How To: Downgrade Your HTC Hero So It Can Be Rooted (Updated 02.05.10) | The Unlockr

2. Root your phone and install a custom recovery image.

How To: Root Your HTC Hero in One Click! (Updated 02.22.10!) | The Unlockr

3. Install the Rom of your choice.

How To: Load a Custom ROM on Your HTC Hero | The Unlockr

I would initialy start with the Modaco custom Rom 3.1 available in the hero forum of his site. Be careful not to flash a Sprint/CDMA hero Rom, ONLY EVER FLASH GSM HTC HERO ROMS.

Once you are savvy you can flash any Rom you want there are currently several vanilla 2.1 roms available on xda-developers that are quite good and nprussel seems to be getting very close to a fully working 2.1 with Sense.

Please read some background to these procedures before you get stuck in.

walkinhotdog likes this.
  3. walkinhotdog

Thanks for the reply but Im not really into rooting and installing custom roms right now, as i find the official roms pretty dam good already. Im just wondering if ill be able to get the US version of the official 2.1 update on my hero when it comes out. I probably should have been more clear, thanks for taking the time to write those steps out, i may root someday...

4. wuthton

Without rooting, short answer, no.

5. walkinhotdog

Ok so basically if i want an official update, i can only update my hero using the ROM upgrades on the htc site (using my phones region). I cant use any other ROMs on the site intended for other regions like the US. Is that correct? Thanks

6. wuthton