• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where do I get Android Market? Please help a new owner

I have searched this forum, but I cannot find an answer to how do I get to the Android Market?

firmware is 1.5

Thanks for helping me, I hope theres just something really really simple I'm missing here...

Hit the menu button, then program, then scroll down to Market

Upvote 0
Ok on a related note now that I have market...

Why cant I get certain apps that I thought were free? Slacker Radio for instance. I used barcode scanner to scan for slacker and it says:
"there are no matches in android market for the search"

I searched for slacker, and it doesn't exist? What?

same for Handcent SMS, supposedly a better texting alternative.

whats going on?

Upvote 0
Ok on a related note now that I have market...

Why cant I get certain apps that I thought were free? Slacker Radio for instance. I used barcode scanner to scan for slacker and it says:
"there are no matches in android market for the search"

I searched for slacker, and it doesn't exist? What?

same for Handcent SMS, supposedly a better texting alternative.

whats going on?

Weird they should be showing up, they show up on mine here, try updating your profile then reboot your phone, and the go back to the market and try it again

Upvote 0
I updated profile, then "powered off" phone, turned it back on

Then I searched for slacker radio and Handcent SMS in the market (didn't find em)

Tried the barcode thingy online (no go)

On a side not, possibly related, I tried a phone update, but it says there aren't any updates!!!

My phone went back in time and thinks it cant update past 1.5. Does anyone have a time machine?

Upvote 0
Root it. You will be better off

Yeah so I want to root it, but unless rooting it lets me communicate with god and makes me brick oven pizza, I dont want to risk bricking my phone. I just bought this thing lol

What do I gain from rooting it? Is it really that much better?

Maybe I will later. I dont wanna OD on roids this early in my career :p

Upvote 0
Yeah so I want to root it, but unless rooting it lets me communicate with god and makes me brick oven pizza, I dont want to risk bricking my phone. I just bought this thing lol

What do I gain from rooting it? Is it really that much better?

Maybe I will later. I dont wanna OD on roids this early in my career :p

YOU have total control over your phone when you root it. You can put custom roms on it and use wifi tethering, removing Sprint's crap bloatware is a big plus. It is VERY hard to brick it, unless you flash something to it that was meant for a GSM hero. Yes, it is 100% better than stock for me.

Upvote 0
I updated profile, then "powered off" phone, turned it back on

Then I searched for slacker radio and Handcent SMS in the market (didn't find em)

Tried the barcode thingy online (no go)

On a side not, possibly related, I tried a phone update, but it says there aren't any updates!!!

My phone went back in time and thinks it cant update past 1.5. Does anyone have a time machine?

Sometimes the market is very picky with spelling/spaces when you use the search. It might be easier to find apps by browsing the appropriate application categories by popularity (Handcent is the first app under communication)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones