Where do you get your accesories?

Last Updated:

1. ponchera

ponchera Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was trying to buy some accesories for the droid but the online options from verizon are limited. I can only get a battery and the car mount. I also need
    -charging cradle
    -additional USB cable
    -car charger

I get a work discount so was trying to buy on there site. Can't seem to find else where. So I ask, where's everyone getting their goodies?

Thanks!
    Caz
    Former iPhone user, Ecstatically happy new Droid user.

Advertisement
  2. AIX

AIX New Member

I'm also interested in this.. haven't been able to find any place that sells the dock.

3. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Somebody said Ebay but I couldnt find anything decent on Ebay. There was 1 dock and it was being sold with the phone...

4. Yukke

Yukke Member

I ordered the charging cradle (multimedia dock) from a verizon store today. You can't order them for yourself on their website yet, but if you go in to one of the stores, you can have them order one for you and it gets shipped via fedex 2 day to your house.

As for additional charging cables, you can use any micro USB cable. I recommend monoprice.com, they're cheap and the cables are good quality.

For a car charger, I just ordered one from amazon with a retractable cable, it was $.01 + $2.98 shipping. I haven't received it yet, but the reviews on it look good.

5. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I had the rep order the multi media dock for me when I got the phone. It arrived today and I immediately took it back since I realized I don't need it. The folks at the store were PSYCHED since that is such a hot item and they indicated they are not getting anymore in. I suppose I could have kept it and sold it on ebay for twice as much but that's just not me.

6. ponchera

Ok, i'll have to go into the store, hopefully they'll apply my work discount. You really think someone would buy off ebay knowing they can get it quicker/cheaper from the store (or sellers hope for the few dumb ones?)

About the mini usb cable, mine doesn't look like the regular mini usb i'm used to (like the one that's on my dslr camera) .. this port looks different - smaller..

I looked it up on wikipedia. Mine kind of looks like the one in this picture (first left to right, the "8-pin Agox" except i can see more pins in mine then the ones in the picture. It does look like the "Micro-B" in the schematic drawing, is that what i should be looking for?

Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can you post the link of the cable you bought on amazon and one from monoprice please?

7. Yukke

Yukke Member

USB Cable

Its micro usb, not mini. They're two different standards.

8. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

And Micro 5-pin to boot. There's also a micro 4-pin USB cable out there that will not fit our phones.

9. ponchera

Oops, misread that one and thanks for clarifying the amount of pins.

Ok so its a Micro-B connector. So here's the link to them:
    1.5ft gold plated
    For only $0.70 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 1.5ft | USB 2.0 Cable - Micro-B Type

3.0ft gold plated (OOS)
    For only $0.81 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 3ft | USB 2.0 Cable - Micro-B Type

Anyone know if it actually makes a difference gold vs non-gold? for a few cents i'd figure why not..

Also, what kind of protection are you folks getting? I usually get Zagg or BestSkinEver protective films. Just took a beat up one off my iphone for sale and the phone looks like new.

10. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from...... :cool:

11. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Gold is a better conductive material - hence all motherboard using as much gold as they can for circuitry paths.

At $0.99 I can't see why you would not get the gold....

Best Buy has an Eddia Bauer holster for $25 that blows the Verizon holster away - Leather with inner lining of chamois, fits the DROID nicely. See ebudy44 - BestBuy

But, TBH, the best holster they have is actually made by HTC - it uses dual magnets on the outer edges nd is lined with microfiber (I think) on the inside. See HTC - Leather Pouch for Select Mobile Phones - Black - 82024BB

I picked up the Eddie Bauer as 1) I like Chamois, and 2) I couldn't stand using an HTC holster for a Moto phone, even though that extra wide belt clip looks sturdier than the EB one....

I am still searching for the perfect holster (belt loops as opposed to clips would be nice, for one thing, chamois is good, and perhaps even cutouts for the speaker)....no such luck yet.

12. lmmmmm

lmmmmm Member

search for droid car dock and you will find other dealers. although they say their device fits droid it's hard to know.

is the moto droid same size as other devices out there?

13. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Not really, some of the dimensions are off.

The GPS windshield mount looks like a duplicate of another company's product - my guess is that Motorola licensed the product from that company and then put their logo right in ht middle of it (along with the appropriate magnet to switch on the GPS / nav feature).