Where do you store all your ringtones etc?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by PetiePal, Jan 18, 2010.

1. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Hey everyone! I got my Droid finally on Saturday and I've been putzing around a lot. One nice surprise was that after getting the Mabilo ringtone app (where all the tones are free etc) I found a ton of the ones I've used in the past and had set up to copy over from my computer.

Now I know Mabilo keeps its own ringtone directory, and I copied over my own folder "Ringtones" to the root directory.

I have Astro file manager installed. Can you use this to move ringtones from certain folders to others or do I have to do this manually via mounting the MicroSD? I had Quark Ringtone app installed for a bit and there's only one tone in there I want before I uninstall...can you move files via Astro?

Advertisement

2. johnnybirdman

johnnybirdman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Law
    Erie, PA
    You can use Astro but it is a heck of a lot easier to plug in via USB, mount the SD card and manipulate folders on a PC (my opinion).
    Good luck.
    J.

3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Mortgage Underwriter
    Rochester, NY
    You can copy and paste with Astro. It's a chore though. Long press on a file > Edit > Copy/Cut, navigate to destination folder, rinse and repeat with paste. If you have multiple files and you don't want to copy an entire folder it's kind of a pain. If there's a way to select multiple files in Astro that I don't know about, please let me know.

4. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Still not all that easy, but you can Menu>edit>select all which turns all files in the current directory orange. You can then tap on the ones to deselect them and then Menu>edit to do whatever you want to the remaining files that are selected.

5. milrtime83

Nov 4, 2009
    There is also a multiselect button. Menu>More>Preferences>toolbar preferences and check "multi-select"

This puts it in the top bar and is orange when you are in multi-select mode.

6. raphytaffy

raphytaffy Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Which folders are we manipulating? Mounted it and I've been trying to find where the corresponding ringtones/alert sounds are but I can't seem to find them.

7. milrtime83

Nov 4, 2009
    Create folders named "ringtones" and "alarms" without the quotes in the root directory (ex. E:\ringtones) and put the audio files you want to use for each in their respective folders.

8. johnnybirdman

Nov 5, 2009
    Law
    Erie, PA
    and if that doesn't work (for me it didn't for all programs) create folders in/at sdcard>media>audio>ringtones [alarms, etc], and put the audio files in them.
    J.

9. raphytaffy

raphytaffy Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Nice! Got my ringtones set up, but the sms app doesn't recognize any of the ones I've added. Do I need to create a separate folder for this?

10. milrtime83

Nov 4, 2009
    Forgot about that one. That would be a folder called "notifications" I believe. I don't get why they made it so complicated instead of being able to have all sounds in one folder.

11. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Chi-Town
    By creating these folders "ringtones" "alarms" in the root (E:) will the default ringtone selector recognize these automatically?
    I have many I have cut from MP3s previously.

12. johnnybirdman

Nov 5, 2009
    Law
    Erie, PA
    Yes, you should see them in the various programs if you go in and change the 'ringtone' or 'alarm' or whatever it is.

13. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Cool I already had a ringtone directory but I just created an alarms one with Astro. I'll mount and copy the tones later and see if it works. I may just copy the contents of ringtones to alarms to make sure I've got access to everything no matter what

14. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Chi-Town
    WORKS GREAT Thanks!