• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

where does my document go that I sent from my PC to my Android? I can't find it.

patmich

Jul 4, 2011
I am trying to get a text document from my PC to my Android. I hooked up the Android to my computer. I right-clicked on the document on my PC, and sent it to removable storage "L". It shows up on the "L" drive contents. But when I disconnect the phone and try to find it, I can't. I searched all the applications so where did it go? How do I find it? thanks for your help.

I was thinking if I can't figure it out, I can just copy and paste text in an email, and send it, and then read the text from the email on my phone. But surely there has to be a way to store documents on my phone. My last phone was a Windows phone. It had a "my documents" folder just like my PC. So I understood how to use it. The Android system doesn't seem to have a my documents folder???

Upvote 0
I understand it now. I need an App (i.e., file manager) to view my phone's storage.
I searched "documents" in the the Google Play, and found one called Office Suite. I downloaded that app, and like you said, I was able to view my phone's storage through the app. I found the document I had sent to my phone, and was able to open and view it through Office Suites. Are there a lot of different types of these file managers? Is Office Suite a good choice? And why doesn't Android already come with a file manager? It did actually come with something called QuickOffice, but this app did not allow me to view my phone's storage. The file was empty.

Upvote 0
My last phone was a Windows phone. It had a "my documents" folder just like my PC. So I understood how to use it. The Android system doesn't seem to have a my documents folder???
You can use the file manager to create any folder you like on your sd card, and copy stuff straight from your pc to that folder. By copying just to the device, rather than a specific folder, you copied to the root, same as would have happened with a usb flash drive (which, as far as your pc is concerned, is what the phone's sd card is). It was your pc that chose the destination of the file, not the phone.

Some apps store files in their own folder on the card, but there's no system-wide default that certain file types go to a particular folder no matter what app makes them. If you want to organise your files that way you can, but you don't have to.

(Personally I organise my stuff by topic, not file type, so don't use a "documents" folder on any computer).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones