Where exactly is the cpu?

Last Updated:

1. thegift_curse

thegift_curse Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm currently rooted and just installed Bugless Beast 0.7.6 yesterday. I tried to see if my phone could handle 1.2ghz, ran fine for about a half-hour then it rebooted. So I turned it down to 1ghz (I was running 800 mhz when I had 0.7.5 btw).

So I try running a game I just downloaded from the market and noticed that the phone was getting really hot, hot enough that setCPU went into failsafe mode and turned the clock down to 600 mhz. So now the phone is cooled down and I'm back down to 800 mhz just to be safe.

But just recently I've noticed that running basic apps like the browser or handscent that the phone gets a bit hot near the back-top of it. Is this where the cpu is at? If so then should I turn the clock down even more? Which would be weird because with 0.7.5 I never noticed the heat. Or could the problem be with 0.7.6 itself?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

The CPU is under the plate with the 'with Google' written on it.

That actually serves kinda like a heat sink, so it's good that it's getting hot, because otherwise it'd be trapped on the CPU :D

0.7.6 is very stable at high frequencies, so Pete may have raised the voltage a little. That could be causing the additional heat. But I haven't noticed myself.

3. thegift_curse

thegift_curse Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ah ok I see. Another question: I've noticed now that my battery life has severely gone down. I don't know if its from installing 0.7.6 or because I ran at 1.2ghz for a while. Which could it be?

I know the battery life is shorter because this morning it was a 100% charge, I saw a few movie trailers and played a game for about 10 minutes, used the browser etc (small things), and now its below 25%. Which it never really went down this quick before.

update: So my phone just died and it literally has been on sleep mode since I made this post. Somethings up here, am I right?

4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Huh, I thought it wasn't possible to raise the voltage? Because the Droid has no "bios" to speak of. Though, admittedly that's just what I heard probably in some other forum post so it could be completely wrong heh.