Where / how much does Gmail store on my phone?General

Last Updated:

1. jonthedoc

jonthedoc New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Got my Eris back in May...love it so far. Rooted w/ 2.2, launcherpro, and running smooth at 768mhz.

I've been trying to tweak it to run as quick as possible, and, this morning, deleted my SMS texts to improve performace in Handcent. Worked well, even if I had to clear out all my old texts. No big loss. My question is: since my SMS texts were stored on my phone, does Gmail store all its emails on my phone, as well? I have a few thousand e-mails in gmail (2626 to be precise) and hope not! I wasn't sure how my phone accessed gmail, where it stored data, etc.

I did go to applications -> manage

and cleared out gmail cache / data. Phone resynced.

This is just a case of...seeing if I can free up and more speed / memory. Phone is great otherwise.

Advertisement
  2. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

I think Its synced with Gmail so it doesnt put any of the email on your phone. Thats why is has to load conversations every single time you open it. Thats what i think. Correct me (anyone) if im wrong.

jonthedoc likes this.
  3. jonthedoc

Thanks. I'm enjoying learning more, every day, about how this device works.

4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

The amount of mail that is actually stored on the phone is customizable, actually. From within gmail, Menu->More->settings->labels. From there, you can customize how many days of mail are synced by default (i.e., the last four days), plus customize on a label-by-label basis.

From home, menu-settings-applications-manage applications. Go to the "all" tab (in Froyo), then look for Gmail. Tap it and look at the amount of data - that is, basically, the amount of storage taken up by messages at that moment.

5. jonthedoc

Awesome. Thank you.