• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where is 2.3 Gingerbread Already!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willdogs

Android Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2009
I just wanted to officially be he first one to complain about having to wait for 2.3 to come to the Thunderbolt :p You know that in a month or so there will be dozens of these threads.:D

Seriously Though, I'm hoping to see it before the summer is up. If not, sooner.

Too Soon? LOL

Reactions: atrain311
Probably won't see 2.3. 2.3 is for tablets. Phones will be getting 2.4

Hate to break it to you but that is incorrect sir, 2.3 was released for the Samsung Nexus S and I believe the Nexus one and Nexus S just received the 2.3.3 update last month.

I have heard that they will be moving on to 2.4 for other phones with Gingerbread, but 2.3 was never meant for tablets.

That would be 3.0 Honeycomb, 2.3 and 2.4 is Gingerbread, meant for phones.

Upvote 0
Hate to break it to you but that is incorrect sir, 2.3 was released for the Samsung Nexus S and I believe the Nexus one and Nexus S just received the 2.3.3 update last month.

I have heard that they will be moving on to 2.4 for other phones with Gingerbread, but 2.3 was never meant for tablets.

Read the links...3.0 is for tablets, but 2.3 is for tabs and the nexus phones...Christ, I didn't write all those articles myself.

Upvote 0

I know I could probably do a search to find this out, but I figured I'd just ask cause it seems like you guys are in the know...what are some of the noticeable differences between froyo and gingerbread? My inc got froyo after I had it a month and to be honest, I can't remember what my phone was like before it. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I know I could probably do a search to find this out, but I figured I'd just ask cause it seems like you guys are in the know...what are some of the noticeable differences between froyo and gingerbread? My inc got froyo after I had it a month and to be honest, I can't remember what my phone was like before it. Thanks.

Yes, there are noticeable differences. The Bolt should be getting 2.4 soon. Same with a few others via upgrades. 3Q phones should start coming with it pre-installed.

Upvote 0
Yes, Rooted...So am I. Look at the link...All kinds of TABLETS are coming with 2.3 and the phones are getting 2.4 Gingerbread.

You said 2.3 was for tablets earlier, that was wrong, two phones already have it officially. 2.2 has been released on quite a few tablets, the Fascinate doesn't even have it officially yet, does that mean it was for tablets only too with exceptions?

I understand what you are saying, 2.4 is most likely what we would get, but it wasn't by any means meant for tablets. Who knows if the tablets will all have 2.3 anyways by the time they release.

I know the new sony phone was suppose to have 2.3 and a newer Dell phone, but I am sure that will change.

Upvote 0
You said 2.3 was for tablets earlier, that was wrong, two phones already have it officially. 2.2 has been released on quite a few tablets, the Fascinate doesn't even have it officially yet, does that mean it was for tablets only too with exceptions?

I understand what you are saying, 2.4 is most likely what we would get, but it wasn't by any means meant for tablets. Who knows if the tablets will all have 2.3 anyways by the time they release.

I know the new sony phone was suppose to have 2.3 and a newer Dell phone, but I am sure that will change.

2.3 was written for the Nexus phones, (and was going to be Gingerbread for the masses) Then they realized it wasn't the best choice for other phones, so they started tailoring it to tabs and went to 2.4 for the phones. 3.0 is strictly for the tabs with their faster processors, more ram, and faster hardware. Any other phones (other than the S and X) will get 2.4 if they get a Gingerbread update at all. All other 2.3 releases will be on a tab, or a rooted version, freely available from XDA...and a few others probably.

Upvote 0
2.3 was written for the Nexus phones, (and was going to be Gingerbread for the masses) Then they realized it wasn't the best choice for other phones, so they started tailoring it to tabs and went to 2.4 for the phones. 3.0 is strictly for the tabs with their faster processors, more ram, and faster hardware. Any other phones (other than the S and X) will get 2.4 if they get a Gingerbread update at all. All other 2.3 releases will be on a tab, or a rooted version, freely available from XDA...and a few others probably.

You seem to have a problem, going on your post from below. Dude just stop already, it is over with. Most on Gingerbread will most likely get updated to 2.4, same with tabs most likely. No one here can say one way or another, so lets just move on.

Upvote 0
I am not sure what his problem is, just report him and we can get everything cleared up. Also not sure when anyone actually ran their mouth before that post, just people debating back in forth.

Anyways, so OP for thread spirally down not what was intended.

So I have no doubts we will get Gingerbread before too long, I bet we get it before my Fascinate.

Heck we might even get that before they get 2.2 officially, lol.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones