Where is adb.exe?

Last Updated:

1. 0mnipotence

0mnipotence Member

Hello everyone! I apologize if this is in the wrong section. (or the wrong forums, for that matter). I am using the google app inventor, and during setup I have come across a problem. I can't seem to find the adb.exe file that it is asking for. There's a popup telling me to put in the exact location, and I can't find it ^.^'

This is the original post from the Google tutorials is as follows, though it doesn't give much description as to how I should find it.

"When the Blocks editor starts, it attempts to find the adb (Android Debug Bridge) program, which it uses to connect to the phone. If App Inventor cannot locate the program automatically, it will ask you to enter the location where adb is stored. Be sure to enter the complete file name, including (on the Mac or GNU/Linux) adb, and (on Windows) adb.exe. Once you've entered this, App Inventor will remember the location for future sessions. If you change computers, you may need to enter a new location."

2. Grunt

Grunt New Member

Hi, I am having the same problem with the program. I used the directory where the app inventor on my computer was installed to in program files but for some reason it wont take it as tat being where the file is and now i am lost. What I belive you have to do, and I am no expert so please do not quote me on any of this, is put the direct link to where the adb.exe file is, which is where the app inventor was installed to on your computer. Mine I just let it install to the program files. But you must put a direct link to that program, which in my case I am having trouble re-directing the link. I can't figure out how to tell it a new link to look for the adb. So I hope I helped some, and if someone could please help me with my problem that would be great thank you!
  3. sure612

sure612 New Member

the adb.exe is located in your android sdk directory, there in the subdirectory tools

in my case:

c:\Program Files\Java\android-sdk-windows\tools\adb.exe
  4. legokid101

legokid101 New Member

Argh! I can't find it! But it asks me to get Android SDK, do I do. THEN, Android SDK says I need JAVA JDK!!! Too many things!!! But I'm happy to download them. :)
  5. @legokid101 I went through the same thing!

I found that the file has moved as of today

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb.exe
  6. kiko_bando

kiko_bando New Member

The Blocks Editor is asking "Please locate the command directory on your computer and enter the full path below".
    When I entered adb.exe path, it then says "Appinventor was unable to find the run-emulator program. It found the directory, but there was no file run-emulator.bat there. App Inventor suspects your Setup software is out of date"

But I just downloaded the latest Android SDK from the Android site yesterday.

I tried experimenting: I made a run-emulator.bat, it then asked for kill-emulator.bat. I made a kill-emulator.bat, it then asked for getversion.bat. Now I'm stuck. The BATS just won't stop!!! :confused:
  7. mxmaj7

mxmaj7 New Member

Same here... I just did that in the last 5 minutes. I'll let you know if I find the answer. More than a little aggravating.
  8. logingue

logingue New Member

You should download and install (for Windows user):
    App Inventor Setup software package

You can download from this link http://dl.google.com/dl/appinventor/installers/windows/appinventor_setup_installer_v_1_2.exe

after you install it, you wont prompt to add adb.exe & run-emulator.bat directory again. It start automatically open Block Editor.

this info from : Windows Setup - App Inventor for Android

hope it helps! :D

note: I'm using Galaxy Tab and Windows 7 Starter.
  9. lunadelasol

lunadelasol New Member

adb on an HTC Evo would be C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Sync 3.0 or C:\Program Files\HTC\HTC Sync 3.0 ( I am not sure if it works for all HTC but it works, but I am guessing it would have something to do with the phone model ) ,depending on where you save your files on window 7 but pretty sure would be for all windows, Apple I do not know.

But also you can kill the program using Windows Task Manager and kill it there hit ctrl+alt+delete to get to it, cause I don't think its a good idea to delete the program cause it may cause some issues if you try to debugged you phone later on
  10. rmbpearson

rmbpearson New Member

Thank you... I am trying to update my HTC sync and it kept on asking me to close the adb.exe file. Task Manager kill did it. :)
  11. martin.j

martin.j New Member

logingue, this answer was perfect! Easiest way to get ADB.exe without having to use Google's SDK Manager. I think my company firewall is blocking SDK Manager so I couldn't add the necessary package to get ADB.

Thank you!!