• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help where is current wallpaper stored?

Wow, this is an old thread, but for the current wallpaper in Froyo you can find it here: /data/data/com.android.settings/files/wallpaper The format is .jpg

HTH :)

I was not able to find the wallpaper or even that folder. My wife's phone is Android 2.2.2 and is a Motorola Droid Gen 1. He brother died on our way home from Vegas and her phone background is the last picture she took of him. I checked the SD card and it's not there, so ANY HELP you can give would be fantastic!

Upvote 0
I was not able to find the wallpaper or even that folder. My wife's phone is Android 2.2.2 and is a Motorola Droid Gen 1. He brother died on our way home from Vegas and her phone background is the last picture she took of him. I checked the SD card and it's not there, so ANY HELP you can give would be fantastic!

Sorry for your loss!

Make sure you are looking in the phone's root directory to start, NOT on the SDcard. Once you get to the right subdirectory the wallpaper file will just be called "wallpaper" and until you copy it to the SDcard and rename it to "YourName.jpg" the picture viewers may not recognize it as an image file.

I tried both ES File Explorer and Root Explorer (download from Marketplace) to copy the file from the phone root area., i.e. phone ROOT/data/data/com.android.settings/files/wallpaper...it's the lowest level of the phone storage itself, similar to "computer" in windows.

Probably the File Explorer on your phone won't let you access the root (your phone shouldn't need ROOT privileges just to copy the file) BUT you might want to have somebody help you (Don't let them factory reset or clear the phone) gain ROOT if you need it...

There is also a program called "Wallpaper Set & Save" that may be able to both save and change the wallpaper on the phone. Works for me...

HTH!

Upvote 0

So sorry for your loss! If she took the picture with the phone and set it as her background then that picture is most definitely somewhere on the sdcard.

Use the gallery app to find it.

Upvote 0
I have been trying to retrieve the wallpaper as well but found it too difficult.
So to solve this I have create the app "Wallpaper Saver". It automatically saves your wallpapers and makes it easy to restore an old wallpaper again. It also supports live wallpapers. It is free to use.

I use "Wallpaper Saver" to save wallpapers when I have thrown away the original. Get it from play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.alroe.apps.WallpaperSaverFree

Reactions: weezyweazel
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones