where is google earth?

Last Updated:

1. morgan_allstar

morgan_allstar Active Member This Topic's Starter

i manually updated to 2.1 and can't find google earth anywhere? where it be?

Advertisement
  2. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

If you're smart, this bloatware isn't on your phone! It's over 22mb after installed. If you want it, it's in the marketplace. I installed it to try it and play around with it and it's fun, just not too useful. I uninstalled it after I had my fun.

3. P-Droid

P-Droid Member

This may sound stupid but you might want to check your slide tray or whatever they call it and look for Earth. I was looking for Google Earth before and it was driving me nuts.:D

4. Phoenixdroid

Phoenixdroid Well-Known Member

I don't see it in the market. Only thing is google earth blog and GPS2Google Earth, so I guess I'm missing something?

5. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

Yeap you will find it under earth in your drawer. I do not see the need for it because you have to draw dataa for it to work and you get sat. view with google nav..Now Mapdroyd is great because it works offline with GPS when no data is available. Its a base map but better than nothing.

6. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

I shoe-horned it onto my 2.0.1 Droid. I guess I had better take it off before the OTA hits me so that I'll have the corrrect one when I update it.

I am curious to see if the official version also uses the 3D layer.

7. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

It doesn't (I'm assuming you mean 3D Buildings)

Google Earth is a neat toy but Maps is far more useful.

8. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

I posted this in another thread:

I got mine the day after launch and it worked a few days ago.

HOWEVER, just out of curiosity I checked again and it's not there anymore :confused: Weird!!!! I promise, I used to have it! I downloaded it right after I updated my phone, and quickly uninstalled it.

9. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

Well if they didn't put the buildings in it, they needed to take it down. You are off the cookie list, BlueIce because you reminded me that I had the 2.0.1 version, so I uninstalled it in preparation for 2.1 and now it is gone.

Just teasing, it is my own fault for not backing it up and besides, it will be so long before I make cookies again that I will forget about this anyway.

10. gbarker6677

gbarker6677 Member

go to m.google.com/earth and you can send it to your phone.

mystereon and 3devious like this.
  11. MicroNix

MicroNix Well-Known Member

People here weren't lying though...that app is extremely bloated. If you want to consume over 22mb of precious space for something marginally usable (and I say that because the built in maps are far more useful) then go ahead. I wouldn't recommend it.

12. atom631

atom631 Active Member

Yeah I'm really disappointed with the Droid version of Google earth. I use Google earth all day for work...and I discovered the iPhone version and its ability to import kml files from maps.Google.com, I flipped. To have my entire fiber network on my cell phone? Amazing!

So I was pretty psyched when I heard about Google earth for Droid. Then I realized it was missing the most important feature, imported layers...so I deleted it. Ah well, ill be keeping my eye out for an update.

13. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

I installed it again recently to take another look at it, and it ran terribly on my phone...would eventually pretty much lock up. Previously it ran pretty well, not sure what's gone wrong...

14. drathos

drathos Guest

Force closes the market when I try to do that.

Honestly, I just wanted to install it to try it out and was most likely going to remove it shortly after, but it still sucks that I can't even install it.

15. nstallion

Really it was designed for the Nexus One. If you are overclocked it runs a lot more smoothly.

16. Lunchbox88

Lunchbox88 Member

I have 2.1 and when I try to install it via m.google.com/earth, its freezes then force closes the market... I waited for the OTA I did not force 2.1

17. nstallion

Weird problems with the Droid like this make me sad :(

If going with the standard OS updates from Verizon is worse in EVERY conceivable way, it should at least be more stable and bug free, but it's not.

I love being rooted, overclocked, running a custom ROM etc but that is not the experience of the vast majority of people (who don't root).

18. Cruzatte

Cruzatte Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with the browser/market freeze, though I did force 2.1. I can't find Earth in a market search, and it's not anywhere in my slide tray or app list. Frustrating--even if it's a pointless app, I want the damn thing.

19. caustic

caustic Well-Known Member

It contrast to what everyone here is saying, Google Earth works great and really smoothly on my Droid. Really, I'm shocked, considering the rest of the phone slowed down a bit once I got 2.1

20. snapcase

snapcase Well-Known Member

Same thing happens to me. Try to load the page and it hangs for a minute, then says market crashed and leaves me at a black screen. Not on the market when searching either.

I got impatient and did a force update, and the only new icon in my app tray is the news/weather one.

21. Djanvk

Djanvk Active Member

On the website
    www.google.com/mobile/earth/

it does says it's available for the iPhone and Nexus, also coming soon to the motorola droid.

So maybe that's why it won't let us install it from the website.

Just a thought.

22. Cruzatte

Cruzatte Well-Known Member

Bet you're right. Still a mystery to me why it's not in the Market, though (or autoloaded with the update, as some people are apparently reporting).

23. tomlouie

tomlouie New Member

After I did a factory reset of my 2.1 Droid, I was able to find Google Earth in Market.

24. Haelous

Haelous Well-Known Member

Looks like the Google Earth site now says -

but when I go to the site I get an FC for the market and then a black screen.

I rebooted my phone but still had the same thing happen. I still cannot see Google Earth in the market.

25. Cat4699

Cat4699 New Member

I just got my 2.1 update today and am having the same FC issue when I try to go to the earth site. Also, no earth app in my drawer either.