Where is the Droid 49.99 data only Plan?

Last Updated:

1. snipercon

snipercon Member This Topic's Starter

There was mention of a data only plan for 49.99.
    I have not seen it anywhere on the verizon site for the droid. I was thinking of getting it and using Google Voice instead of a voice plan.

Is that possible?

Advertisement
  2. Forsakenfire

Forsakenfire Member

No, need some sorta minutes plan and a data plan.

3. snipercon

4. michaelkahl

michaelkahl Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that this plan is for someone who is deaf, mute, or severely hard of hearing. It may be a special request. I'm not sure if you have to prove the disability or not, but this is just my guess.

5. RobotJaxxon

RobotJaxxon Member

I have the Droid and the $49 data-only plan sitting in my checkout cart at the Phandroid-Verizon site right now. I'm confused as to if I should actually order this or do the safe, $70 voice+data plan. Should I order this?!?

6. snipercon

Do it and tell me if Google Voice works on it, and we will both have a 50 dollar plan that will do unlimited voice and data, (up to 5GB/month at least)

7. snipercon

I wonder would you still be able to call any other verizon phone for FREE on their free mobile to mobile calls with data only?

8. RobotJaxxon

RobotJaxxon Member

So I went to three different stores in the last few days to ask about the Droid and if I could get a data-only plan. I go three different "No" answers:

Best Buy Mobile... said I had to get a voice plan, and that I'd have to pay $10/mo for navigation. Clearly didn't know what he was talking about.

Verizon Wireless Authorized Dealer... said the only data-only plans from Verizon were cards for laptops and such. The VZW website clearly lists a PDA/Smartphone data-only plan. Don't think he knew what he was talking about.

Official Verizon Wireless store... said VZW would require you to get a voice plan because VoIP + Google Voice would still use voice minutes in their systems. I don't think that's technically correct, VoIP is just data traffic. Unless VZW is secretly using VoIP for it's voice service already.

I think I'm going to order it. I figure the worst that can happen is Verizon won't activate the phone and I'll have to switch to the $70 plan I grudingly was going to get anyways.

9. RobotJaxxon

RobotJaxxon Member

I doubt it. I have a Google Voice account to handle incoming calls, and Gizmo 5 to handle outgoing calls. I admittedly haven't used either of at all since I got the accounts. In fact I was a Grand Central customer before Google bought them. I just was uncomfortable making a 'free' phone number my main point of contact.

Anyways, voice calls are $0.25/min with the data-only plan. I don't think there's any breaks.

10. JoeFresco

JoeFresco Well-Known Member

It may not matter to you, but if you pay an extra $5/mo, you get unlimited texting. I know GV handles this, but it might be worth it to have the normal texting

11. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

I thought to go from no texting to 250 texts/month was $5 extra... How did you get unlimited for just $5 more?

12. snipercon

Let me know how it works!

13. RobotJaxxon

RobotJaxxon Member

FWIW, my Droid order was held up and I had to contact VZW. They told me the $50 data-only plan is not compatible with the Droid and so I got the $40 + $30 plan. So that's that, no sneaking around that VZW crew.

When I get the phone I'll see if I can get VoIP working anyways. I'm curious if VZW will charge VoIP calls as data or voice minutes.