• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where is the Google Calendar app?

johnb41

Aug 7, 2011
I've never used Google Calendar before, but now I'm going to start using it to keep more organized.

But I can't find the Google Calendar "app" on this phone. It's not in the "all apps" screen. I can do a general phone search, and it shows up as "Calendar" and I can access it that way. But how can I get an icon for it?

Also, the Calendar app on this phone seems to be custom for the Note, am I right? Is there also an official Google one? I search Google Play, and there is no official one from Google. Am I missing something here?

I've never used Google Calendar before, but now I'm going to start using it to keep more organized.

But I can't find the Google Calendar "app" on this phone. It's not in the "all apps" screen. I can do a general phone search, and it shows up as "Calendar" and I can access it that way. But how can I get an icon for it?

Also, the Calendar app on this phone seems to be custom for the Note, am I right? Is there also an official Google one? I search Google Play, and there is no official one from Google. Am I missing something here?

The Calendar app on the Note is used in place of the stock calendar app. You can do more with this one than the stock. I LOVE the stock app, but I like this one a bit better since it has ALL of the functionality of the stock app plus a little more (and I LOVE the widgets on this one a LOT better).

My wife and I have our calendars linked so anytime any one of us puts something on our own calendars, they show up on both our calendars. I am on a Note and she is on a Skyrocket, so you don't even need the same devices (We had it this way when she was on an iPhone and I was on an Android phone). This app is more than fine to do what you want/need on Google Calendar.

Upvote 0
Wow, sounds great! I like the calendar so far. But to launch the app, I have to "search" for it first. I can't get an icon to show for it. Am I supposed to add a calendar widget instead of an icon?

Strange, I have an icon...

export_03.png

Upvote 0
Weird. No icon anywhere for me. No widget either. Looks like I will have to "search" for it every time I need it. :(

From reading around, you can try to do a couple things to see if this helps.

• Reboot your phone (no high hopes but worth listing)
  • From Home Screen: menu > settings > applications > manage applications > all tab > TwLauncher > Force Stop > Home Button (if this does not work, try using the Clear Data button too).

I have not had this issue, but from what I have been able to find, those are the most common suggestions.

Hope this helps! :D

Upvote 0
Not sure if you're interested, but APW widgets from the marketplace is very cool and customizable.

It lets you setup different widgets to your preference (calendar, FB, Twitter, etc) and each widget will integrate with the core app if you want it to.

So I use APW calendar widget and have it set so that when I click on the "Agenda" line at the top of the widget, it brings me right into the month view of the native calendar.

Just some options; part of what makes Android great ;-)

-Ryan

Upvote 0
I'm on the AT&T Note. I'm using Go Launcher, but I also did re-activate TouchWiz and it wasn't showing there either.
Well have you thought about Go Launcher being the problem? Why not just do a complete restore and see if that gives you what you want.

Not sure what Go Launcher is - did a quick search and it seems like it is a overlay of the OS for Android. (not sure the correct way to word this). The longer I use Android the less apps I download and less items I want to use - it seems to keep my battery life longer and less issues or times that I have to reboot.

Upvote 0
Well have you thought about Go Launcher being the problem? Why not just do a complete restore and see if that gives you what you want.

Not sure what Go Launcher is - did a quick search and it seems like it is a overlay of the OS for Android. (not sure the correct way to word this). The longer I use Android the less apps I download and less items I want to use - it seems to keep my battery life longer and less issues or times that I have to reboot.

Go Launcher is the best! It replaces the default homescreen system, and allows for much more powerful app folder management, and the app drawer is so much better too! I can't go back to anything else.

Anyway, for testing, I did disable Go Launcher, and it didn't help with finding getting the Calendar app to be an icon.

But really, this isn't really a problem anymore since I am now using that great widget as described above. It's better than just having an icon. :)

Upvote 0
Interestingly, I saw in Google Play, a launcher called "Launcher 7", which simulates the homescreen of Windows Phone 7. Thought it would be fun to check out. That launcher allows me to put the calendar app on the homescreen!

Anyway, I really like this launcher... it's a refreshing change, and drastically different from any other launcher. I've never spent time with an actual Windows Phone 7, so I can't directly compare, but it seems to be similar. I recommend this if you want a complete change of scenery. :)

Also, this is very tablet friendly launcher... installed it on my Kids rooted (with CM7) Amazon Kindle Fire, and it's really great. Much better tablet interface than Gingerbread on this thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones