• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where is the hotspot icon?

Turning the wireless hotspot on requires digging though several of the settings menus ( settings>wireless and network>tethering and portable hotspot). One day, though no doing of my own that I know of, an icon for the hotspot appeared in my applications screen. I was able to drag this icon onto my main screen and the activate the hotspot directly without going through the setting menu. I recently had to reset my phone to factory condition and now I can't find that icon for the hotspot. Any ideas?

I don't have it in my applications either, but I do remember a shortcut for something like that when I first got my phone.

Instead of adding it as an "app" you can add it as a "shortcut".

Long press on the home screen -> Shortcuts -> Settings -> WiFi Hotspot or Wifi Settings

This will add the icon to your homepage. Hope this solves your issue.

Upvote 0
I don't have it in my applications either, but I do remember a shortcut for something like that when I first got my phone.

Instead of adding it as an "app" you can add it as a "shortcut".

Long press on the home screen -> Shortcuts -> Settings -> WiFi Hotspot or Wifi Settings

This will add the icon to your homepage. Hope this solves your issue.

Close, but no cigar. I can shortcut to settings, but not to wireless>hotspot.

It's weird, almost like someone is intentionally hiding the hotspot cheese. But thanks anyway.

Upvote 0
Turning the wireless hotspot on requires digging though several of the settings menus ( settings>wireless and network>tethering and portable hotspot). One day, though no doing of my own that I know of, an icon for the hotspot appeared in my applications screen. I was able to drag this icon onto my main screen and the activate the hotspot directly without going through the setting menu. I recently had to reset my phone to factory condition and now I can't find that icon for the hotspot. Any ideas?
Did u get an answer yet?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Upvote 0
My wife's Skyrocket is updated to the most current (Oct 25th update) version of ICS, so I do not know if it matters, but to get the shortcut on her homescreen I did:

1. Long press on home screen
2. Selected the green arrow that said shortcuts
3. Selected the gear that said settings shortcut
4. Scrolled down to the bottom and seleced the phone with blue waves on the side that says Wi-Fi Hotspot.

Pictures attached!

Attachments

• step1.jpg
    step1.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 172
  • setp2.jpg
    setp2.jpg
    882.7 KB · Views: 141
  • setp3.jpg
    setp3.jpg
    593.8 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones