• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Where is the oc speeds?

xkingofgodzx

Android Enthusiast
May 15, 2010
New York
So I have had my phone rooted for a while now. I started using the hydra kernels, but kingxkick kernels are faster. I didn't have the Moto droid and I'm not really sure how kernels work, only how to install them and how to use them. But the moto droid has a 500 mhz processor and has been oced to 1.2 ghz! Thats a massive improvement. My point is.....why have we only been able to oc by .19 ghz or mhz however you would denominate that ?

So I have had my phone rooted for a while now. I started using the hydra kernels, but kingxkick kernels are faster. I didn't have the Moto droid and I'm not really sure how kernels work, only how to install them and how to use them. But the moto droid has a 500 mhz processor and has been oced to 1.2 ghz! Thats a massive improvement. My point is.....why have we only been able to oc by .19 ghz or mhz however you would denominate that ?

Because the Moto Droid was really underclocked compared to what its processor was capable of doing much more than the Droid Incredible.

Upvote 0
When it comes to overclocking there are multiple factors involved including (but not limited to)...the cpu itself, the software governing the cpu and other hardware limitations. More than likely (i dont know for certain) the processor in the moto droid is actually a cpu that has been underclocked on purpose to increase battery life and reduce heat. The Dinc cpu may have to the potential to clock higher but is limited by overheating in the device.

I have my Dinc OCed to 1.13 using Kings #5 (which by the way you are correct - .13ghz = 130mhz) and last night I had my phone charging while playing angry birds and my phone was EXTREMELY hot....it never froze on me or anything but my notification light was flashing orange/green so I turned off my SetCPU profile for charging. Mine doesn't seem to like anything over 1.13 anyways, which reminds me that not all cpu's are the same some people's Dinc's are just fine running at 1.19 while others are not.

Reactions: xkingofgodzx
Upvote 0
great points by above posters. oc is not something that oems take into consideration when releasing phones, so its kinda random as to what oc speeds you'll see. The droid was rare for several reasons in that it was underclocked and that the omap chipset was capable of a lot more.

the droid x for example has seen some capable of 1.5 ghz while others cant get past 1.15.

Reactions: xkingofgodzx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones