• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where is the S4 being manufactured?

Why I ask is that with the crap that's going on in the Korea Peninsula. If the dookie really hits the fan we could be looking at massive delays.

Well, there's always Nokia. :D

Kidding aside, there are likely dozens of manufacturing, assembling, inspection and distribution entities involved, not all in Korea.

Plus, I doubt two things: 1. That the psychotic babblings of the N.K. leader amounts to much more than domestic propaganda/posturing (he's seen as lesser than his almost Godlike predecessor, and there are rumblings in the populace at large), and 2. That South Korea's evolved and high tech industrial structure is at risk much at all, with the notable exception of shipping delays due to air and sea routes being monitored carefully by the U.S., China and Japan.

[edit] I chucked this thread to the Android Lounge, being as how the kernel of the OP's query is not only about one device in reality. The thread could further be moved to the Politics and Current Affairs sub-forum of The Lounge if need be. ;)

Upvote 0
We could be looking at massive delays for manufacturing of high-tech products market wide, not just cell phones. I'm talking computers, LCD screens, routers, refrigerators, washers and dryers, stoves, ovens, cash registers, switches, satellite dish equipment, cable STBs, hard drives, RAM, NAND Flash Memory, cell phones, televisions, the auto industry, etc. Lots, and I mean LOTS of stuff is made in South Korea and it could put a damper on a lot of things world wide.

Let's not forget, Samsung doesn't just make cell phones. They are one of the largest multi-purpose manufacturing companies in the Asian market. They make everything.

Upvote 0
We could be looking at massive delays for manufacturing of high-tech products market wide, not just cell phones. I'm talking computers, LCD screens, routers, refrigerators, washers and dryers, stoves, ovens, cash registers, switches, satellite dish equipment, cable STBs, hard drives, RAM, NAND Flash Memory, cell phones, televisions, the auto industry, etc. Lots, and I mean LOTS of stuff is made in South Korea and it could put a damper on a lot of things world wide.

Let's not forget, Samsung doesn't just make cell phones. They are one of the largest multi-purpose manufacturing companies in the Asian market. They make everything.

Even earth moving equipment.

But, again, I just see the N.K. leader as a frustrated drama queen. He's gotten his country sanctioned by most of the entire world.. so, what do frustrated drama queens do when everyone else opposes them? Have fits. Stamp feet. Make threats.

I don't think he's so out of touch with reality that he's willing to risk the population of his whole country by actually attacking any of his perceived "enemies," although he wants all to believe he will.

Meanwhile, South Korea's relationship with China has improved immensely over the past few years while North Korea's has been something like an unwanted step child with them. ;)

I doubt if anything at all will happen with commerce between S.K. and the rest of their trading partners.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know. China, who once was North Korea's friend is now looking at North Korea and telling them to sit down and shut up. For one, they don't want North Korean refugees and you best believe that if North Korea is reduced to rubble there's going to be a crap-ton of North Korean refugees.

And don't believe for one second that the US won't reduce North Korea to rubble. The armed forces of the US won't leave one stone on top another. The whole country would be a smoking crater.

I give it a week, that's how long a war with North Korea would be. They would be no match at all for the US's combined armed forces.

Upvote 0
Lets leave the political discussion where it belongs and keep this thread focused on possible disruptions to the supply chain the OP asked about.

Thanks.:)

Yeah, I over did the political portion of my explanation as to why I don't believe much if anything will happen wrt the OP's concern.

To address the gist of the OP's issue: shipping of brand new stuff from any manufacturer in South Korea would likely only be impacted by order of the South Korean government. And the South Korean government, that whole society, is a capitalistic one just like most of Western countries. Interruptions in that cash flow would have to take an all out war because North Korea does not have the sea power to deploy a full blockade of shipping.

As far as airborne shipping, I have grave doubts N.K. would start shooting down civilian craft flying over air space other than their own, which S.K. and other countries stay out of anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones