• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Where is the setting to turn off mobile data?

I know i can switch the Data on/off completely by long pressing the power button. But this is the same like going into wireless settings and ticking "use packet data" - isnt it?

What i am looking for is the option "Always on".

As far as i am concerned this option in the older? builds made sure that the phone only connects to data service on demand.

If i deactivate Data conpletely i a have to manually activate it every time io open the browser or e-Mail app or Facebook....

Upvote 0
Sorry... but what are you trying to do? You mentioned that you only want to connect on demand, won't that mean you actually on/off the data as you want? Apps like email, market, facebook will use data when they sync, poll the servers, updates, downloads etc. It does not off the data and on data line automatically.

You can of course use apps like Juice Defender. It is an app that have the option of switching off the data when it detects no active use and on it back when you go online or use an app that requires data. That said, I found that the app sometimes have problem switching on the data line back. Its why I stick with manually using the data toggle.

Cheers

Upvote 0
I thought the Option "always on" would mean that the handset always stays connected to the data service and if you untick that box the connection is only established AUTOMATICALLY as soon as you open the browser or an app tries to sync. And if the connection is in idle it disconnects and saved battery power...
Since i dont have the "always on" Option (at least i cant find it...) i can either be Always on or never on unless i manually toggle data or use 3rd party apps like Juice Defender....?

If i would use Juice defender, would push email still work? Or would my e-mail app be able to connect and establish a connection in the background to poll every 30 Mins or so?

Upvote 0
Don't think there is a setting in the phone for what you want. Which means you probably have to use an app. I think you can set up to allow JD to ON the data line at certain intervals, or perhaps when an app updates, JD will allow the data to be ON. Not sure since not using it.

Browse the market and see if there are alternatives and description for what you want. For me, I don't see any issue about toggling the data manually. Its just a tap on a widget in my homescreen.

Cheers

Upvote 0
I am looking for the Option "Alaways on mobile data" in Android Version 2.3.6 but cant find it anywhere.
Can someone tell me where i can find it to switch it off and increase battery life?

Thx

I don't know if this is the same issue or not, but I reside in Thailand and pay for phone service by loading information via a phone card. Therefore I want to set my Galaxy S2 so that it used Wifi ONLY (thereby not using purchased time to access the internet). How is this accomplished?

Upvote 0
Therefore I want to set my Galaxy S2 so that it used Wifi ONLY (thereby not using purchased time to access the internet). How is this accomplished?

As quoted by Erlander above:
Try Settings/Wireless and Network/Mobile networks/Use Packet Data.
Just remove the tick mark alongside 'Use Packet Data' and turn on WiFi. This will ensure that Internet access is only through Wifi. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones